Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie with mod ?'s

Wife ok'd (w/in budget) me to ramp up/modify my 2004 Honda Turbo R12x. I was looking at getting the following

Macboost kit with Solas impeller $699.00
    R & D Intake Grate $140.00

Any suggestions?

The intake grate is a waste of money.

i disasgree with the intake grate being a waste of money, yes people have expressed their dislike for the r&d intake grate and as they are not of high quality but the design does work in the right conditions.
    Our water conditions over here in Australia inside the great barrier reef are not a even swell i suppose the best way to explain it is like riding in a washing machine. The grate helps hook the ski up a great deal over these conditions, and yes i have done extensive testing with it.
    Before people jump on here and say it does nothing, please find out all of the facts/conditions that the grate will be used in. Yes on flat water it will actually lose you speed but it really comes down to the water that you are riding in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyae View Post
    The intake grate is a waste of money.
    +1. Don't waste your money on the grate. You will end up losing top end speed and you might cause damage when that POS breaks apart.

I have to agree with vnm02, I use the R&D intake grate & Solas 17/29, with an extended ride plate & I left a stock R12X for dead in choppy water. In calm water he only just pulled ahead of me & he is 30lbs lighter than me.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by baba booey View Post
    +1. Don't waste your money on the grate. You will end up losing top end speed and you might cause damage when that POS breaks apart.
    I agree, and the Mac Crap chip needs race fuel to work (surprise) better to use the super Jim stuff if your on a low budget.

You will get injured on the R&D Poor quality..

Read this >

Here’s was others thinking of R&D castings.

Quote:
    Originally posted by fullboogie:

Lance posted a message a few weeks ago about his son getting injured when the R&D intake grate on his ski broke apart
    at full speed.

The same thing just happened to me today. I was riding with my girlfriend on the back when my ski took a violent right
    turn, throwing us off at about 40mph. We both have very stiff necks and headaches from smacking our heads on the
    water. WTF is going on with these things?!!! The metal at the break looks like cheap pot metal - it's full of air pockets and
    imperfections.

WHY IS R&D SELLING THIS JUNK?!

Here's all that's left of my grate:

Quote:
    Originally posted by Chem:
    My double bar R&D grate failed on me while I was doing 62 mph gps. Luckily I didnt get hurt as I skid literally and
    violently on my butt. I contacted R&D and sent the remaining pieces. So they warrantied it upon reciept. Now I use the
    stock grate unless it is new. I dont use a grate more than two seasons old. My grate was bought brand new. It died when
    it had less than 40 hours on it. It was the beginning of season two when it failed. The stock one doesnt break and it havent
    thrown me off just yet. I will continue with it until a better grate is on the market.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Detonate69:
    Wow We were out this weekend and one of the guys I was riding with bearing seized and it froze his drive shaft.
    When we flipped the ski over the see if anything was in the grate we found a good size crack in it. Had his ski kept
    running it probably would have ended up like yours.

Quote:
    Originally posted by razzbo56:
    I am working with a machinist on making the double bar out of stainless. This is way to dangerous for R&D to keep
    selling this POS !! Dave yours broke in the exact same place as mine.

ok didn't really want this to get into a pissing contest, just was wondering what you guys think I should get and keep the price around 1K...

one guy is telling me if I get a macboost kit that I have to run race fuel..is that right? I know some local guys that run premium and they run great.

Also, for the money, what can I get that will increase the speed a few mph...

Love the ski as is, but buddies Yamaha mod'ed 1300 beats me up right now and I want to at least run with him next summer...

Thanks in advance.

Cheet J
    Louisville KY.

+1
    louisville KY ?!?

just gimme a call 502-608-6227. You can come look at my ski's if you want.
    I have a solas grate, solas prop, superjim kit.

Dave Sharp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeterky View Post
    ok didn't really want this to get into a pissing contest, just was wondering what you guys think I should get and keep the price around 1K...

one guy is telling me if I get a macboost kit that I have to run race fuel..is that right? I know some local guys that run premium and they run great.

Also, for the money, what can I get that will increase the speed a few mph...

Love the ski as is, but buddies Yamaha mod'ed 1300 beats me up right now and I want to at least run with him next summer...

Thanks in advance.

Cheet J
    Louisville KY.
    Add 1 quart of Torco race fuel concentrate to a full tank of 93 octane to get the full benefit of the module. Oh, and you'll still be beat by your buddies 1300

I use the grate, I haven't had those problems, It helped my unit hook up better, the nitro kit makes some power, and unhooks at will, the grate stopped it, I would NOT grind on it to fit, rather shim the ride plate in the front with 1 washer(stanless) it will meet the ride plate flush, grinding on it just makes the poor casting WEAK. I'd do the superjim kit also.

Intercooler, Superjim kit, boost gauge, solas impeller, and a grate

probably can pick this stuff up for 1,100

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information