Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Checking J-Pipe braided bellows for leaks?

Anybody know how to do this? I think that is where my exhaust leak is given the salt residue in the area. Can't get the leak to happen on the hose or on the trailer on launch ramp.
    T C

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clarke View Post
    Anybody know how to do this? I think that is where my exhaust leak is given the salt residue in the area. Can't get the leak to happen on the hose or on the trailer on launch ramp.
    T C
    is your manifold bell end still intacked ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskibill9999 View Post
    is your manifold bell end still intacked ?
    i know that sounds rude, but have you removed the j pipe? if you have then look at the end of the manifold, it should have a bell of alloy to make the seal to the j pipe, while my engine is out i'm getting mine made from stainless, regards bill

JetskiBill, yes the bell end of the exhaust manifold looks good. I read Steve Friebe's thread on that subject and checked out mine and it's fine. Any ideas how to test my j-pipe for leaks?
    T C

Any ideas how to test my j-pipe for leaks?
    T C
    Take the J pipe off, plug all the water holes exept for one. pour some dishwashing soap in that hole, fill with water and plug the hole with your finger and start shaking it. Stop and through that same hole presurized it with water, whatever bubles out is where your leak is. Exhaust is exhaust, cooling water is cooling water. They dont mix untill they hit the inside of your water box. Got nothing to do with the exhaust bell. water will not leak out of your stainless steel flex connector either. take note on my RXP 04 cracked exhaust and still going.....No water leak issue, to exhaust leak issue and definitely no Power issue. I would pay close attention to that clear rubber silicone tubbing on the exhaust clamp, simple as it is but that is an important part. J pipes are known to fail T C. Pay close attention to the welds.Then again I could be wrong. hope this helps. enjoy the pictures. Man I am almost as bad as younggtx in posting pictures soon I'll be taking pictures of food and saying....."good eats and good friendship" LOL!....Oh, crap!!! I am having another nightmare ......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 554.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	47156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 351.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	47157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXP 352.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	47158  
    Last edited by Jammer 1; 12-04-2007 at 04:53 AM.

Jammer, "clear rubber silicone tubing on the exhaust clamp"?. The short (3") piece of tubing on the T-bolt exhaust clamp is there to protect the threads of the clamp, nothing more as it's not connected to anything else. Or are you talking about a different silicone tubing. BTW I don't think the material of the clear tubing is silicone. I believe it's vinyl. Silicone is usually colored ie blue, black, red, yellow , orange etc. I still can't find the source of the exhaust system coolant (salt water, in this case) leak.
    T C

Banned User
    +1
    HOLY CHIT!!!!

That motor has been running LEAN....

+1
    Jammer, "clear rubber silicone tubing on the exhaust clamp"?. The short (3") piece of tubing on the T-bolt exhaust clamp is there to protect the threads of the clamp, nothing more as it's not connected to anything else. Or are you talking about a different silicone tubing. BTW I don't think the material of the clear tubing is silicone. I believe it's vinyl. Silicone is usually colored ie blue, black, red, yellow , orange etc. I still can't find the source of the exhaust system coolant (salt water, in this case) leak.
    T C

Tom hes saying watch the plastic on that threaded T-bolt because if its MELTING or BADLY DISCOLORED BROWN then you are having EXHAUST HEAT MANIFOLD & TIP MELTING ISSUES! its an exterior motor sign for tell tale exhaust manifold melting without removing the J-pipe to confirm that (1) its MOST LIKELY MELTING and (2) U MAY BE LEAN. mine had some MELTING WITHOUT DISCOLORING the plastic. good luck!
    Last edited by REID2168; 12-05-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    Tom hes saying watch the plastic on that threaded T-bolt because if its MELTING or BADLY DISCOLORED BROWN then you are having EXHAUST HEAT MANIFOLD & TIP MELTING ISSUES! its an exterior motor sign for tell tale exhaust manifold melting without removing the J-pipe to confirm that (1) its MOST LIKELY MELTING and (2) U MUST BE LEAN. mine had some MELTING WITHOUT DISCOLORING the plastic. good luck!
    Dammmmmmm!!!!!!! Your GOOD!!!!! I 'll buy the next round of Beer! I always knew your the smart one.....and sometimes a smart A$$ I visit this thread once in a while maybe my missfortune in my RXP life adventures can help somebody in the future befor they can make or experience the same "BO-BO" I have encounter, afterall isn't that what "Green Hulk Website" is all about? This Website is so rich in information that the PWCToday members bleed on this website for information.....SAD.....REID2168 #1 is right analogy. #2 does not fit the puzzel. My '04 RXP is bone stock when it comes to the 4-tec motor, exept for the metal washers that I bought from Jerry. This is what I think, I am guessing on this one. The plastic tube that came stock with the clamp is actually a measuring device, so you would not over tighten the clamp and crack the manifold bell. like I said I was guessing. I went to some dealership and start poking around and acting like a tourist. I measured all of them, they are all right on the money. mine started discloring when I cracked the bell. I would check for "Hot" spots and guess what!, J pipe is cool exhaust manifold, even with a crack bell, is still cool. I touched the clamp....boy that was warm.....never felt that way before?....so I write it down on my little black RXP book.....Dear Diary....today,.....I...Jammer 1....
    Last edited by Jammer 1; 12-05-2007 at 02:08 AM.

Jammer, "clear rubber silicone tubing on the exhaust clamp"?. The short (3") piece of tubing on the T-bolt exhaust clamp is there to protect the threads of the clamp, nothing more as it's not connected to anything else.
    Yes, thats what I thought too. If you know me well enough, you would think I came from a looney tune university I stared at that motor for hours and hours....talk to it and wisper sweet nothings to it like a $5.00 dollar hooker with a discount coupon......and "NO" it's not Green..... have you ever thought what that tube is protecting? The clamp is made of stainless steel. Rust maybe? banging the expose thread maybe?.... why are they all the same lenght? I check all the dealership around, they are all there. I check the exploded veiw of the parts list......it's there? I took mine off a long time ago and look at it, for some reason the threads of the clamp bolt made a mark on the tube. since that day I used that mark when to stop tightening the clamp, untill 1 day I didn't use it because I was in a hurry to put it together and go with the boys....after that, that's where I notice the melt down and after I open it up......Walla!!!!!! crack bell ......????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information