need help with carbs

I was looking at getting my carbs done mainly cause I dont have the spare time to do it myself right now. 2001 GP1200R. Right now the motor is pretty stock, 3 degree keyway, d plate, and jetworks mod. I want to add f/a kit, High comp head 140-150psi, and possibly if I have the money vf3's. I found there carbs for sale and was thinking of picking them up since they already come rejetted and with the f/a kit on them. IS this jetting setup what I would need these mods I am looking into doing. I am about 1000 feet above sea level and it will prolly be in the 70's before I ride again. This is the ad and I could prolly get them for 225$ "You get the set of carbs that have been rejetted to 110 Pilots, 120 Mains, 85g spring, and 1.5 needle and seat. You will also be getting a RIVA flame arrestor kit. The carbs alone cost over $1,700 new and the RIVA flame arrestor kit is over $200. That is almost $2,000 when bought new."

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    sit back.. post on wanted page... you will get what you want for 300,00 -400.00 ready to bolt on.. .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by great lakes gpr 1200 View Post
    sit back.. post on wanted page... you will get what you want for 300,00 -400.00 ready to bolt on.. .
    I think you are going to have to spend a little more than that

+1
    I totally agree. Check with forum member Jeffsntx I think he has a great deal on a set of carbs. If he don't there is 2 or 3 sets on ebay right now that are priced right.

Quote Originally Posted by great lakes gpr 1200 View Post

+1
    This is the ad and I could prolly get them for 225$ "You get the set of carbs that have been rejetted to 110 Pilots, 120 Mains, 85g spring, and 1.5 needle and seat. You will also be getting a RIVA flame arrestor kit. i think he's saying he could get them allready rejetted + riva f/a's for $225

+1
    Dont pich pennies on carbs !!!! It is not worth the hassle etc... I would check with jeffstnx - there have been others for sale here recently also.

If you save $100 now you are going to kick yourself in the a$$ in the spring if you have to pull them.

+1
    well...

lessons I have learned

you never buy a used set of carbs and just bolt them on - I bought a used set of carbs from a very experienced forum member - they were supposedly ready to go - I bolted them on and promptly filled my hull full of gas - he had forgotten one of the gaskets and the carbs leaked fuel like a sieve

so you always have to dismantle a set of used carbs and rebuild them - that way YOU know they are fine

even if they came off a working ski - that doesn't mean the carbs are fine - they could easily have an undetected air leak, so they need to be rebuilt

rebuild kits will cost $120

you would be better just to stick with your own carbs and upgrade the jetting on them

there is an excellent set of carb rebuild instructions available in the how to section

on the jetting specs, in my experience there seems to be very little downside to adding a bit more fuel - so might use a 122.5 or even 125 main jet

so maybe use

110 Pilots
    125 Mains
    95g spring
    1.5 needle and seat

with this jetting you also need to disable the accelerator pump

+1
    I just bought a set on ebay take-offs from a race ski they had been sitting on this guys shelf for years. Had a couple pieces robbed off them but were literaly new. $185 shipped to my door. now by the time I go through them put in rebuild kit's, remove the chokes, add t-handles and jet correctly I am in them another $300 for parts and that is without adapters. I would never ever run a set I had not gone through first. I sold a set here recently and they were completely gone through and set up correctly I got $550 in less than a day. When you add up what the buyer got it was a good deal. Carbs that have problems will let you know right away they usually take out a cylinder and piston, just takes a couple minutes. Be careful when it comes to carbs do it right or pay the price.

my $.02

Thread Information