Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Magneto issue the reason for $6000 repair of my 2005 RXP

Dear guys,

Background

• My ski is 2005 Sea-Doo RXP;
    • No any modifications or tuning - just as stock as possible;
    • Hours: around 90;
    • Used for recreational riding and towing of my toys, and water skis (the biggest toy for 3 persons);
    • I changed impellers for two times, because of riding near the bridge and stones at the sill of the river;
    • Jumped a lot on waves and did not release the accelerator.
    It was usual summer day, I put my ski into the water and decided to take a long ride (about 3 miles). So I pushed on the throttle up to the end. The riding was perfect. It drove on the full speed about 20-25 minutes. Speed was around 69 and RPM around 8000. In 25 minutes I saw that red light started to flash. I stopped and turned of the engine. Then I saw on the information screen the following: 12V LOW. So I started the engine and got back to the base. I noticed that maximum RPM were around 7800-7900 and the temperature of the engine was higher than usual. Then in 30 minutes I could not start the engine, as my battery died. So I changed the battery and continue riding. In five minutes, on a speed about 40Mph I detected a sharp noise and the engine stopped. Then I towed my ski to the dealer.

At the dealer premises

Dealer engineers reviewed the ski. In there opinion the reason of it: “Screws of the magneto. Minimum two of them were cut off. And metal chips were dispensed over the system”. So this is what they said. They send me some pics. I have attached them below.

Your assistance required

I would be very grateful if you advice me and on the following main questions:

1. What was the reason of such damage?
    2. Is there any special guarantee for such damage, in spite of my ski is not on guarantee anymore?
    3. What is the best way to repair it?
    4. Which parts I had to order?

If you need some other pictures of the ski please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08872.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	47159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08874.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	47160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08875.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	47161  
    Last edited by justcosta; 02-01-2008 at 04:49 AM.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    flywheel bolts sheered off it happens, they have a new updated bolt kit for it so it shouldn't happen again in the future

whats your location, are you overseas or in the US? $6000 bucks of repair is in US dollars or your currency? assuming you are overseas...

that's not even close to 6k of damage around here

+1
    if the damage extends into the lubrication system and will require new oil pump assemblys and new covers as well as the magneto flywheel encoder wheel and anything else in there... then you might be looking at a parts bill in the neighborhood of 2000-2500 USD... that's pretty much the worst case scenario for the parts bill only

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    flywheel bolts sheered off it happens, they have a new updated bolt kit for it so it shouldn't happen again in the future

whats your location, are you overseas or in the US? $6000 bucks of repair is in US dollars or your currency? assuming you are overseas...

that's not even close to 6k of damage around here
    It is in Russia, Perm city. US $6000 it is in US dollars. See the map.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    well parts are definitely retailed for a totally different price overseas so that could be part of the reason for such a higher repair price.

i got your PM... i'm just in a rush right now to go to a job interview, so when i get back from that i'll reply back to your message you sent me.

get that parts list handy and we'll see what damage they found and what they planned on replacing. post the parts list here or you can send it to me if you like in a message, doesn't matter. better of posting it here so we can get input from a few people rather than just me

steve

I do have some used parts to if I can help.Send me the parts list and I'll let you know what I have.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    you could buy a whole new motor for that off ebay or the classifieds on this site...for less i would think.. it cant cost that much to ship it

How often does this happen & What causes this? I don't recall reading abt this in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynfox View Post
    How often does this happen & What causes this? I don't recall reading abt this in the past.

It is only a problem on 05 and older.The 06 and newer have the new updated stretch bolts.I have not heard of those failing or it is not as bad of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch411RXP View Post
    It is only a problem on 05 and older.The 06 and newer have the new updated stretch bolts.I have not heard of those failing or it is not as bad of an issue.
    Well that's a relief . Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information