Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bang for my buck

Just wanted to get some feedback to how to spend some cheese. I'm looking at Stage 1 or greenwheel/washers/labor. Cost is relatively the same, so I'm looking to hear input from people who went stage 1 and then the greenwheel.

Which one is a more noticeable difference between the 2? Would just adding the greenwheel give me more oomph vs going stage 1 or vice versa. And if so where would the improvement be...low end...top end?

I see soooo many entertaining offers in the classifieds. LOL. Good thing XMAS shopping is done.

Well, you don't r-r-really have a choice about the washers, if still ceramic. Stage 1 will give you a little jump in power (mostly accel, but also about 200rpms, which you can turn into topend speed with the right prop). The Green wheel will give you a good jump above stage 1. Instead of getting the stage 1 kit, get the washers and Green wheel at the same time, then make your own 4" intake. Finally, get a prop to dial in that power just right. You should need something between a 14/19 and a 15/20, adding or taking away a mm of pitch as needed.

+1
    Having gone stage one and then green wheel, then more is why you see all the classified adds. The performance bug is addictive, the more you get the more you want. It all depends on what you want to accomplish, if you want to out run all the other stock skis go with the stage one it will net you some were between 3-5 mph with loads more accelaration. The green wheel will add another 1mph with even more acceleration. If you add a green wheel to the stage I you will probably have to repitch the stage I prop or if you go with green wheel only you can repitch the stock prop.

My advice would be to pick up a used 3" power filter and 14/19R prop and change your washers. See if that gets you wher you want to be, if not get the riva intake and a green wheel and a repich for more acceleration and about 1 MPH on the top. If thats not enough then you have to start all over and you will be placing classified adds.

Oh yea I have a 3" and a 14/19R sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

+1
    In my expierience the stage 1 kit was a waste in the sense that it does not deliver what u might be expecting... I thought I was going to gain atleast 2 mphs with it but I ended up running the same as stock. Now the handling characteristics improved such as take of, and riding through chop because of the intake grate. The riva filter is nice but you might be better off trying something else either homemade or look for members that make 4 inch conversions. The biggest improvement for me was going stage 3 charger WOW!!! Worth every single penny if u can save for one I'd recommend it for sure but it all depends on how much ur willing to spend.. Start small and lay a foundation the move up because without the small parts the big stuff won't work properly.

Best bang for the buck for me was the intake grate, 2degree pump wedge made the ride dryer and the opas block offs...

Performance I went with the PPG exhaust and love it cause it sounds mean and I didn't have to cut thru my hull.
    Good luck and if u have the money make ur own stage kit..
    Make sure you change your Washers ASAP and while ur in there green wheel or better.

Adrian

+1
    I would just Do a 4in intake ( I like the rear intake home made) Greenwheel and a depitched 15-20 R.

That stage I is a waste of money with all the resorces on this site.

My ski with the above mods ran High 73's with a ton more acelleration!

Better yet do a 4inch intake, STG III SCer and a XS IC with some 42lb injecters... Hold on boys and girls.

+1
    homemade intake
    washers
    green wheel
    prop (pitched to the mods)
    no opas
    Riva intake grate
    all the free mods

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    i have a 3 inch intake i took off went to a 4 inch when i went to s3 charger ...i will sell it cheap ...the intake grate is the only other part on the stage 1 that is really anything ..i agree if you can go with a stage 3 charger omg what a difference .. dont waist your time w a rive vortech wheel...just sold that ... the wheel green is better ..my s3 charger w washers will probably b 4 sale in the spring i am either going rude or c kit ...look at the parana stuff they have a good bang for buck in the lower kits just my 2 cents

I think it's a great start; I purchased the Stg I kit @ 10 hrs & was happy with it. I know there are many other ways to achieve similar results but I got the kit on sale and was fairly new to the sport at the time so it worked perfect for me.

My next upgrade won't consist of the Stg II kit though. Instead I'll probably go with the Green wheel & Piranha IC kit.

Banned User
    I have the Riva stage 1. If I got a Green Wheel what prop should I buy?

+1
    Repitch the stage one prop to 8100 rpm's, if needed, unless you have an external intercooler you probably can't turn a 15/20 and would have to lessen the pitch.
    Last edited by Bama; 12-06-2007 at 10:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information