Floating & Carbon Ring dressing

Is it safe to dress the floating ring and carbon ring faces with like 600 grit wet-or-dry paper on a flat surface like glass?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    yup, do it all the time with no problems just to clean up the surfaces so they are two nice clean flat surfaces

you could be more a little aggressive than 600, it wont hurt...

Larry why??? if you have it all apart, why not just install new carbon ring and supprting ring, cheap insurance when screaming down the river eh?...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Larry why??? if you have it all apart, why not just install new carbon ring and supprting ring, cheap insurance when screaming down the river eh?...PR...
    Thanks Andy...
    Yes, I know a brand new set is best... I'm buying a couple of 15 hour used sets from Steve Reid at a good price. They might be a little dirty, etc., so I wanted to be sure I could lap them without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Thanks Andy...
    Yes, I know a brand new set is best... I'm buying a couple of 15 hour used sets from Steve Reid at a good price. They might be a little dirty, etc., so I wanted to be sure I could lap them without a problem.
    I had a new one installed (just the carbon ring) and in about 35 hours or so, it was totally wiped out, the contact area was about 1/2 in wide , enough was ground down that there was NO tension on the boot, so I said F, it, and installed all new stuff to ensure no leak, that was a close one! ...
    well in your case, those used ones are still prolly good. I would suspect that it would work well if you have the mating supprting rings would be better!...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I had a new one installed (just the carbon ring) and in about 35 hours or so, it was totally wiped out, the contact area was about 1/2 in wide , enough was ground down that there was NO tension on the boot, so I said F, it, and installed all new stuff to ensure no leak, that was a close one! ...
    well in your case, those used ones are still prolly good. I would suspect that it would work well if you have the mating supprting rings would be better!...PR...
    Yes, I do have the mating support floating rings too.

Thread Information