Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Screen for intake to keep from sucking debris?

This picture has me wondering if you could put a pre-screen on the intake to cover the opening from allowing debris from entering...especially helpful when you're literally riding through town and can't see what's below or how deep you are. We've been hit by severe flooding in case some of you haven't picked up a paper or seen us on the news. It's quite devastatingly awesome the amount of water that has caused whole towns to be evacuated and a 20 mile stretch of I-5 to be shut down for a week.

Cool for jetskis... Sucks for homeowners!

Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain View Post
    This picture has me wondering if you could put a pre-screen on the intake to cover the opening from allowing debris from entering...especially helpful when you're literally riding through town and can't see what's below or how deep you are. We've been hit by severe flooding in case some of you haven't picked up a paper or seen us on the news. It's quite devastatingly awesome the amount of water that has caused whole towns to be evacuated and a 20 mile stretch of I-5 to be shut down for a week.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    you could probbaly fasten a wire screen to the intake grate, it would have to be done VERY securely and be rigid.

obviously it would cause immense cavitation, but performance isn't exactly whats in mind when ur dealing with disaster and trying to lend assistance to those in trouble or move around.

not sure what could be used off top of my head... and with such a screen or measure of protection against debris, i dont know if it would even be able to get up on plane from cavitation.

+1
    A stainless steel wearring is a start

+1
    It would disrupt and provide less water inlet but enough to limit decent performance? I'm sure any screen material used no matter how tough would eventually break up and get sucked in, but it was just a thought.

I've definately thought about that when we watched rescues in New Orleans...I bet tough hardware cloth would be good enough as a temporary measure for rescues in debris and keep the speed down. You sure don't want it coming loose and going in the pump.

I don't know how small of hole you want, but you could always use that steel screen/grate that is used alot industrially. Its holes are somewhere around inch long oblongs. It's used on alot of platforms that need to be seen through. You may have seen some of it on platforms for portable carnival rides and things like that. It would be strong enough and at least keep larger objects out. It's also rigid so if it came off it wouldn't really be able to be sucked in. I don't have a pic of the stuff but I'll try to find one. Good luck with everything, I've been keepin up with it as I have quite a bit of family over there.

+1
    Don't forget that steering is largely affected by how and how much water goes through the intake grate.

Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain View Post

HLS and FEMA are having Airboats designed for flood areas to move people and assets to disaster victims. They will run on ice or wet grass.

+1
    The metl you are talking about is called expanded metal. Bar b que grill stuff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information