Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Results: Stage 3 SC on a Speedster 150

Well, it was nice to finally see 60mph on the GPS and 10.0 on the boost gauge. My neighbor took his stock 185hp '04 GTX-SC out and we dragged. Amazingly, our acceleration and top speed was exactly the same; no matter what, we were side by side. Of course, to actually win would have been nice, but the neighbor was very impressed non-the-less.

I gained 2mph on top over the Green wheel and 14/19. Besides a tad more push on holeshot, the acceleration didn't feel that much stronger over the Green wheel & 14/19 (which was already very strong).

My problem now (always something) is a have something resembling heat fade occuring after about 15 minutes that slows it down 1mph, with the RPMs topping out at around 8000. I thought maybe the prop cone came off, but it was securely on there. I've never noticed this before, not even in the heat of summer. Do I have to think about a thermostat now, either AM or just letting the stock one run continually???

I'll post some specific upgrade performance notes I've taken, in case they are of value to anyone:

Normal summer stats with Green SC wheel, XS IC & 14/19+1.5mm prop:
    Air/water temp: 92/94
    Boost: 8.8 @ 8100rpms
    Speed: 56.5-57.0
    Notes: This is exactly how fast the boat ran stock in the winter (65 degree water).

11/18/07 Ė Green wheel, XS IC & 14/19+1.5mm prop(only diff is colder water):
    Air/water temp: 76/74
    Wind: calm
    Boost: 9.3 @ 8220rpms
    Speed: 58.0
    Acceleration: Fast, boat instantly planes
    Notes: Could not floor the throttle without getting too close to the rev limiter. Water 20 degrees colder than summer added at least 1mph on top.

11/27/07 - After installed 15/20 prop (with Green wheel & XS IC):
    Air/water temp: 80/80
    Boost: 8.2 @ 7750rpms
    Speed: 56.7-57.0
    Acceleration: slightly better holeshot, but slower up top
    Notes: WOT was 7750rpms; will need to take pitch out of the 15/20, if the S3 SC isnít significantly more powerful.

12/07/07 - 15/20 prop, Stage 3 supercharger & XS IC:
    Air/water temp: 80/77
    Boost: 10.0 @ 8120rpms
    Speed: 60.0
    Acceleration: Better holeshot, but acceleration not that much better than w/Green wheel
    Notes: Feels perfectly dialed in, except bad heat fade after about 15 minutes reduces RPMs to more like 8000.

Great info, That boat is screaming now! Keep us updated on everything.

+1
    you're running lean..

Quote Originally Posted by ou812
    you're running lean..
    How 'bout some elaboration before I grenade? You're saying the heat-fade symptoms are the result of running lean? I thought it was understood that this setup was cool with the 42s. Especially since it's still 80 degrees down here in Florida. The water's cooler, but still warmer than the rest of the country. I would have gotten a Rude, if I knew I would have needed a fuel regulator anyway.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    How 'bout some elaboration before I grenade? You're saying the heat-fade symptoms are the result of running lean? I thought it was understood that this setup was cool with the 42s. Especially since it's still 80 degrees down here in Florida. The water's cooler, but still warmer than the rest of the country. I would have gotten a Rude, if I knew I would have needed a fuel regulator anyway.
    Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were running 42's, I didn't read your sig. But dropping rpms at WOT is a sign of running lean. Do you have good ventilation back there?

+1
    riva stg3 is normally sold with 50 lb injectors with ecu to pull fuel out at idle and low rpm. Once your into the power band riva says you need to the extra fuel. If you had stock IC and air intake it wouldn't be a problem I bet. (and less performance)

I dont know, just reciting. I run a turbo car and i would never run lean..without a wideband i'd have to trust the kit builder, riva.

But ou812 makes sense. Maybe you should get the 50's and a riva ecu or else go back to stock on the breathing and see what that does for you?
    Last edited by dav_dman; 12-08-2007 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ou812
    Do you have good ventilation back there?
    Same as it came from the factory. New holes were drilled for the fresh air intake, so the ventilation holes are intact.

I could understand using 50s if I'm running the Riva ECU and 8500rpms with 11.5lbs of boost, but I thought I was going to be safe at 8100 & 10lbs with 42s. Damn, I can't use 50s without a fuel regulator, and like I said, I would definately have gotten a Rude if I thought I'd have to go that route. I'll try other air intake configurations next time I'm out, but if I have to restrict my intake to limit my performance closer to where I was at with the Green wheel, then this was soooo not worth it.

This is engine and mod related, so I'll post this problem on 4-tech forum.

I noticed the riva vortech SC impeller is on sale. Hard to beat $299 vs. $450 for a green wheel. No hits for searching the boat forum for Riva Vortech. Can it be used on the 215 SCIC in our boats instead of the green wheel with no other mods?

Just an opinion, of course, never had the vortech wheel, but I'll just say this: (1) Each mod has less of an impact on a boat than ski because of the extra weight/drag. (2) I've heard people with skis claim the vortech wheel gave next to no performance gain.

+1
    Hard to believe that a stock 185 engine would run equally with the Speedster after all those mods???? My Speedster will blow off most stock PWC's other than top end and using X charger, external cooler, thru the hull exhaust, steel wear ring, R/D pump seal, Solas ConcordeR impeller, EarthX lithium battery (2.5 lbs. vs. 23 for OEM battery), 4" air intake getting outside cold air, etc. 60 mph seems real fast for a stock 185? assume you're running an external cooler?
    mine runs so cool since I installed the external cooler and run the hell out of it all afternoon, pull folks all afternoon on towables, etc. and still real cool in engine room.
    60 mph is range for a stock 250 Speedster, so you should be faster? Noticed you have a R/D intake, how did the preform vs. the OEM grate? If it has a wing, it might be the reason your top end is so low for all those mods. Something isn't right (grate or impeller)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information