Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gp1300 qu's mods ride plate intake grate etc

Hi I just installed a R&D intake grate on my ski. Its good in ruff waters as its a lot more smoother to ride but I have noticed a drop in my speed. I use to get around 108km top speed on flat waters but now the most I can get out of it is around 88 to 90km. Is this normal?
    I have been told that people modify these greats some how to get them to work a little better. I got all the machinery to do what ever needs to be done but just need to be put on the right path....

Also ride plate.
    I have herd people shimming the plate at the front I think to bring the back of the plate up for better peformance.I have also noticed there is a step from the hull to the plate. Would it be better to have this flush with the hull?

I have also adjusted my sponsens up at the front and down at the back. Its amazing what a bit of lift on the front can do for the handling of the ski.

next is the R&D pump seal kit. Are these worth the $65.It seams to make good sense any ideas.

What im trying to do is just make the most of the parts that I have with out going and spending big amounts of cash.

Any help would be good. Bit new to the sport and not to sure what can and cant be done.

thanks to all in advance

Moderated
    which R&D intake grate do you have?

there are two types, the single bar and the double bar.

the single is degined more for rough conditions and has better hookup if used in this type of water but you do lose some top end as a result of its design ( the single bar)

I have a single bar on my 1200 and i noticed the same thing, it used to do about 115 on the speedo and when i changed the grate over its hard to get anything over 100-105 now but the hookup rocks.

I have a dual bar on my 1300 and its top end is faster now but i have other mods so its hard for me to tell exactly how much difference it has made to my speeds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GP120...mZ140177216504

this is the same one i got off e-bay.im guesing its a single?
    I did notice last week when we where out in the surf that it helped the ski not stoping in mid air as much wich i thort was great but the loss of 15 to 20km is depresing on the flat.I also noticed today on the georges dead flat that the motor was woking alot harder at top speed.
    also what do you mean by hook up?
    still learning the jet ski lingo

+1
    MR1300,
    it sounds like you are taking speeds with the stock speedo? Just bolting on the stock plate is usually good for a few mph, but if you are going off the stock speedo, it can read anything.

So what you are saying is that the stock speedo isnt realy accurate at hi speed.How do all you accuratly cheeck you speed when doing speed runs?
    should i invest in a gps?

+1
    Correct. The gpr speedo isn't accurate at hardly any speed. Changing the rideplate, changes the speedo's relation to the water as well. This falsely changes it too.

If you want to follow the whole speed thing, than getting a gps is a very wise economical decision. It doesn't have to be anything special. $100 gps off of ebay works great. Make sure it is securely mounted with clear line of sight, or your results will vary as well.

Thanks for the good advice i think i will look into geting a gps.Didnt realise that a change in intake grate could mess up the speedo.

+1
    If you want to know if your going backwards or forward invest in a GPS the only way to know what your ski is doing

Mike

I can help you out with plates and angle if you want a grate might slow you down a mile but thats it hook up is awesome over stock grate and the stock grate is not safe at all

What is hook up?
    and why is the stock grate not safe?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr1300 View Post
    What is hook up?
    and why is the stock grate not safe?
    Hook up means filling the pump with water. In rough water, your pump comes unhooked frequently and you lose forward propulsion. Your new grate will keep it loaded better in rough.

this is why the stock grate isnt safe
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...fy+stock+grate

I learned the hard way

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information