Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Running lean with S3 SC, XS IC, & 42s???

You can see my new setup in my signature, I just moved up from the Green SC wheel. When I first put the boat in the water, it runs a perfect 8100rpm/10lbs boost/60mph, but after about 15 minutes or so, I start seeing symptoms reminiscent of heat fade, that I have never had before. Things slow down to under 8000rpms/9lbs boost/58-59mph. Itís not very hot in Florida, and like I said, Iíve never noticed a diminishing performance like this before.

It was suggested that this is because Iím running lean... scary thought. Many people are running this setup; anyone else had this problem? The only thing that could be different with my setup is, not only do I have a 4Ē intake going into the supercharger, but that is fed with two 5Ē tubes that bring in fresh air through a couple of 4Ē flow-rites.

Is the consensus that Iím dangerously lean, or could I have a thermostat issue?

...and if I am lean, what mechanism is causing the RPM drop... just cylinder heat? I would think since Iím running rich down low, it would stay cooler (unless Iím WOT for over 10 minutes, which I donít do).

Do you have an aftermarket thermostat.........the Stage 3 charger makes your air intake temp increase quite a bit therefore the motor would show heat fade more than before

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    After it cools down, does the speed pick back up?

Quote Originally Posted by WOT
    After it cools down, does the speed pick back up?
    Yes, but I say that only because the problem occured, then I was out of the water for a good two hours while I tweaked the prop a bit, then after getting back in the water, it was fine for about another 15 minutes until the RPMs dropped again.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMS3
    Do you have an aftermarket thermostat
    No, but I'd have no problem getting one, if I knew it would fix the problem. I know the S3 SC is going to run hotter than the drop in wheel, but figured the XS IC would take care of that. The water temp was 77F, and air temp 80 at sea level, BTW. I know Hoss mentioned that he fixed his stock thermo to let the coolant run continuously.

thats a big speed drop ,did u get a heat alarm,checked your plugs looked for kinked pipe.

some people are now running with no thermo at all,havent reported any probs as long as u warm ski up well before

Quote Originally Posted by rior1 View Post
    some people are now running with no thermo at all,havent reported any probs as long as u warm ski up well before

I'm joining the club, water temperatures on the lake i ride on get into the high 80s during the summer, I'm gonna run my ski on the dock w/ a hose to help it warm up a little faster

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    The only reason I see to run with no thermostat is if you've had trouble with them. The 158 degree thermostat is perfect for keeping the ski at its ideal operating temperature. At temperatures below this, the ski will make less power (yes you can overcool a motor). Why would you remove the thermostat and then go through a warm-up ritual? That is what the thermostat precisely does. I'm just curious as to the line of thinking for guys that don't run a thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    I'm just curious as to the line of thinking for guys that don't run a thermostat.
    for me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, winter projects

thats true ,you spend the money on s3 set up then dont skimp on the thremo,but if you cant get a thermo for a bit it could be a temp fix

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information