Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Maiden voyage!!

Maiden voyage!!

Just got back from the bay on my first ride since I put the new to me cylinder and piston in the 95 SLT 750. I must say I became a polaris fan when I busted it off at the ramp! The ski ran pretty well in general but:

I'm an idiot!! Until we were getting ready to go I had forgotten to order and install the fuel selector. I just hooked up direct to the reserve line so I could run the engine on the hose. Anyone know what happens when the main fuel line is left disconnected from anything and is laying in the bottom of the hull?? Yep, it siphons into the bilge until you get to the ramp and plug the hose or you empty the tank!! Whichever comes first! Luckily, the ramp was only about 4 gallons away!

Idle is very rough. What should be the idle RPM's?

I don't have the top end I was expecting (maybe close to 50) I was only showing 35ish.

The ski was running good for a while (rpms ~5900 and then didn't want to get past around 4200 to 4400 rpm's.

Then my 13 year old took it back out by himself and got to 6100 with 40 on the mfd dreamometer.

Does this ski have the rpm limiter for low fuel even though it came with a reserve type tank and selector?

I'll be rechecking compression and taking pic's of the piston wash soon but my camera is at a dance convention in New Orleans this weekend so it really wouldn't do much good to open her up right now.

What do you guys think?

+1
    My idle is around 1500 in water 3100 dry

Max RPM at 6100 at 53.2 on the D-O-M

i had rough idle on my slt750. then one day i decided to clean out the spark plug wire boots with elctrical spray cleaner and some scrapping with a screw driver just for the fun of it. the idle is very smoothe, big difference...!!!........

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The 95 doesn't have a limp mode.Did you run through the complete fuel delivery system and carbs?

+1
    I'd check crank index and cut the wires back 1/8-1/4 inch and let us know what you find.
    Double check the fuel system and can you let us know exactly what was done to the fuel system.

Don't you love being watched?? milesengineer's Avatar
    Just a question, but why check crank index? Did the ski run good before the cylinder went? Did it hydrolock? Seems as though the fuel system might be the culprit. Check those hoses... Stator possibly going?

The fuel lines have been replaced from the tank to the new triple pump to the cleaned carbs and back to the tank. The restrictor is in the return line. New pulse line (heavy duty reinforced). Did not pull the tank fo cleaning since I had no problem siphoning out the old gas all the way to the bottom.

Didn't follow proper index checking procedure but did verify piston heights on pto and mag with cent. at tdc.

My idle was set too low ~1250 so I know that will help on that end.

I did not do anything to the firing system except change plugs to the 8's instead of the 7's that came out. Could that be a problem?

I'll cut back the plug wires and clean up the caps next. That could be an issue.

Thanks for the guidance.
    Tom

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by milesengineer View Post
    Just a question, but why check crank index? Did the ski run good before the cylinder went? Did it hydrolock? Seems as though the fuel system might be the culprit. Check those hoses... Stator possibly going?
    Simple, we don't know the history of the engine.
    Now let's say he finds the fuel system has a small blockage and he repairs it but still can't get full RPM's or burns another hole in the piston.
    He goes back and focuses on the fuel system because that made things better.
    Why not make SURE the engine is healthy and not part of the problem. Sure it can be as simple as a rev limiter or a spline stripping out of the impeller or whatever BUT why would you want to go through all of that work just to find out you have a bad crank and it's never going to be right?
    It takes minutes to check and then you can take that worry out of the equation.
    We can start throwing things at him to check, which isn't bad but why not start at the beginning when it takes so little time??

For a memory jogger, here is the original issue with my engine. Turns out that I (well the prior owner) lost a wrist pin bearing. From what I've read over the past months here, it was odd that the pto went instead of the mag.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33538

comp and pics

I broke it down this AM and here is what I found:

The same problem. AGAIN!!

Compression is 122 ish on the mag and ctr with 0 in the rear. Pulled the heads and saw a very familiar sight.
    Any ideas on what is causing this? I really would like to get this ski up and running reliably but it doesn't make sense to keep putting money into something that may not ever be right. Your thoughts?

The ctr and mag caps are very oily they look that way because I smeared them with my finger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pto cap.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	739.4 KB 
ID:	47991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pto pist.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	864.8 KB 
ID:	47992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctr cap.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	730.8 KB 
ID:	47993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctr piston.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	47994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mag cap.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	737.5 KB 
ID:	47995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mag pist.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	579.9 KB 
ID:	47996  

Last edited by 1stpolaris; 12-10-2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: more info

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information