Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

What do you use to seal your shoe? 4000,4200, 5200 ?

What do you seal your shoe with? I have heard different recomendations...

3m 5200 Fast Cure has almost the same tensile strength with a much more rapid cure time. 5200 Fast Cure is a faster curing version of 3M Marine 5200 Adhesive Sealant. Use where a permanent seal is needed quickly. The high performance polyurethane becomes tack free in one hour and fully cures in approximately 24 hours. The seal is extremely strong, retains its strength above or below the water line. Stays flexible and allows for structural movement. Has excellent resistance to weathering and salt water. Easy to apply with manual caulking gun
    Fast cure version of 5200 becomes tack free in one hour and completely cures within 24 hours. Delivering strong, flexible seals, 3M Marine Adhesive Fast cure is ideal for applications where a fast long-term seal is needed above or below the waterline. The seal remains flexible, allowing structural movement, and has excellent resistance to weathering and the marine environment.
    Strength: Strong Below Water Line (yes/no): Yes BRAND: 3M Material: Polyurethane Rate Of Cure: 1 Day

4200 Fast Cure is a one-part general purpose Polyurethane selant with a good adhesion to wood, fiberglass, gelcoat, plastics and metals. Forms watertight, weather-resistant seals on joints and boat hardware above or below the waterline. 3m 4200 fast cure is ideal for hardware and bedding applications. Paintable and sandable. This product is approx. half the strength of 3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant 5200, which allows for disassembly of parts.

A one-part general all-purpose polyurethane that chemically reacts with moisture to deliver flexible bonds with good adhesion to wood, fiberglass, gelcoat, plastics and metals. 4200 forms watertight, weather resistant seals on joints and boat hardware above and below the waterline. This product is approximately half the strength of 3M 5200.

Strength: Good Below Water Line (yes/no): Yes BRAND: 3M Material: Polyurethane Rate Of Cure: 1 Day

3M 4000 UV Fast cure is a one-part cosmetic sealant cures to form a firm, rubbery, water-tight seal. Excellent ultraviolet light (UV) resistance. Very low odor. Remains flexible. Do not use 4000 Fast Cure below the waterline.
    • Superior UV resistance
    • Exceptional sealing properties with Fiberglass, Deck Hardware, and Hatches
    • Fast Curing
    • Paintable
    • Non-cracking
    • Easy Clean-up
    • Becomes tack free in 2 hours and cures in 24 hours
    Below Water Line (yes/no): No BRAND: 3M Material: Polyether Rate Of Cure: 1 Day

+1
    i used 4200fc for shoe,came out easy enough once when i changed it..

i would only seal the transom with 5200..

although we did seal deans GPR's shoe,pump,transom ect with 5200..
    Last edited by Hydrotherapy; 12-08-2007 at 07:35 PM.

+1
    I used 4200 also. No problems all summer.

+1
    Use 4200,its easier to remove later if needed.

Moderated
    Any more details on how to do this mod??

pics would also be helpful

TIA

+1
    any problems with the 4200 blowing out ? How long cure time? I sealed mine with 5200 fast cure thurs night, and have heat lamp in the tunnel to help cure.

Fri morning and this morning both, there was a bubble in the tunnel, so i cut it out with exacto knife and the 5200 was still wet inside the bubble Missed a very beautiful day today sitting on my chair watching it dry

I taped off my tunnel at back to hopefully increase heat ( only 35 degrees at nights here and its in unheated garage) any chance it would be good to go tomorrow, or should I just bail on this weekend.

There are no more bubbles coming out and everything feels solid, but I am sure its still wet on the inside.

I want to go to tampa drags next weekend, but have a lot of testing to do before then setting it up for drags instead of speed runs.
    thanks
    David
    Last edited by RUNWME; 12-08-2007 at 07:52 PM.

+1
    David,
    there is soooo much mass of sealant in there, and soooo litle surface area. It's a tough combo to push the timeline. You might be wet inside there for weeks.

I pulled off the grate on my blue ski last week. It had been on there over 3 years...and was slightly wet in the very middle. I'm pretty sure it was standard 5200.

+1
    ive also used 4200 but didnt have good luck with it, i even sanded the area with 320 grit to make more pores so it could bond better and still got sucked out by the impeller, ima re-doit with 5200

+1
    i would wait four to fsix days min to cure,even with slight heat

dave did you apply pressure up by way of jack and block of wood to hold shoe in tight,

re torque regular

+1
    I recommend sealing the shoe and dont ride the boat for 2 weeks.Try and keep it in a dry,warm place to speed up the cure time.I sealed a shoe on my 06',3 weeks later,i removed the shoe,only to find the 4200 was still wet in the middle.Its the same as having it in the tube.It will stay wet for a long time.As long as no air gets to it, its going to take forever to cure.This is why i use a 1850 psi,2 stage epoxy on my R&D reinforcments.Besides that, 4200/5200 will still flex even when its dry,but this is another day another story.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information