Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Riva ride plate VS Jim's cut plate?

It's been some time since this has been debated. Now that the Riva plate has been out a while I figured I'd bring it up again. Some like the Riva plate and some swear by Jim's cut stock plate. I like the Riva plate and it will give a good increase in speed. But the more I ride with the Riva plate, the more I realize what a bear this ski is to hold on to at top speed. Like a lot of other forum members, I think that the Riva plate on anything other than smooth conditions takes away from this skis rough water handling. If you use the wedge with the Riva plate, it will give you a little more speed but hold on tight........ has anyone used both plates and is there any differance in speed? Also for those who use Jim's plate, are you running it with the 2 degree wedge?
    Jimmy

I'm running the Riva with a 2 degree wedge

I just installed the riva plate and I am running the 2 degree pump wedge. I have not ridden since I installed it. Our lake is way down right now and I am a little leary of running here. I just hope we get some rain before next spring. It is 100yd from my dock to the water now but I do have a great sandy beach out front.

Showdown how do you like the combination of the riva and 2 degree wedge? I pretty much ride only on smooth water so I am not after the rough water handling.

I got .75 m.p.h. with the 2 degree compared to the 1 degree!Ilove the way it feels and thats what I mostly ride is smooth water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxshowdownxxx View Post
    I got .75 m.p.h. with the 2 degree compared to the 1 degree!Ilove the way it feels and thats what I mostly ride is smooth water.
    I agree with XXX
    On smooth water, the Riva plate and wedge is fine. But anything other than that, (even going over boat wake) and it's like riding a pogo stick

Jim did work on my riva plate but I have not had a chance to ride with it on. It will interesting to see how it works with the wedge. If you will look at the picture of my pup you can see the dock in the back ground. The water is about 100 yds past the end of the dock now.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I have run Jims cut plate since I got it, Im happy with the all around performance,I can say it took a away very little of the rough water handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    I have run Jims cut plate since I got it, Im happy with the all around performance,I can say it took a away very little of the rough water handling.
    TN, did you ever do that 3 plate shootout with TurboJimmy? That Riva gave me an honest 3mph+ on smooth water so it has its value but stock or Jim's cut plate may be better for all round conditions.

Do you run a wedge with Jim's plate? Anyone ever test 1deg wedge & stock plate v other plates?

+1
    Remember,

When we add a wedge and increase angle we do not need to go as far back on the ski as we did before. In rough water we can stay in the cockpit and be faster than if we are way back and bouncing all over the place. Keep the pump hooked and you will be faster.

Be glad you do not have power trim, because those two options will change where you have your trim.

Today we added a wedge to an 80 mile per hour Rxp and I am still not sure we know where the trim needs to be? I know , on my Gpr it is lower the looser I am.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    TN, did you ever do that 3 plate shootout with TurboJimmy? That Riva gave me an honest 3mph+ on smooth water so it has its value but stock or Jim's cut plate may be better for all round conditions.

Do you run a wedge with Jim's plate? Anyone ever test 1deg wedge & stock plate v other plates?
    I was wondering the same thing about the Jim's plate and wedge. I talked to Jim this afternoon and he said it was better to run his cut stock plate with the wedge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information