Had a HUGE scare today

Installed my RE blockoffs.

Starboard side went on...no issues.

Port side went on and the holes didn't line up, so rather than do thing right and drill them out, I cross threaded one of the bolts. I figured 3/4 bolts locked down with marine silicone sealing all the holes should be sufficient right..........wrong. (I think I'd have been okay if I'd have used "right stuff" but the 3M crap I used needs 24 hours to completely setup).

Well, I get out on the water and it's beautiful, 80* and water temp is 72*......perfect.

I haul ass down the river and out into the bay, so everything's going fine and all the sudden the engine starts cutting and surging. I'm like WTF?

Then it won't reach rpm so I'm getting PISSED thinking my washers just went (after I replaced them with steel).

So finally, the engine cuts off and I decide to pull the seat off and check things out....HOLY CRAP! There's like 8" of water in the bottom of the hull and it's ABOVE the supercharger intake level.

So now I've gone from....."great, I'll need to be towed in" to "HOLY CRAP, I GOTTA GET HELP NOW BEFORE MY SKI SINKS"

So I flag down some nice folks and they tow me back to the dock.

10 minutes later I'm home praying that my hydrolocked engine isn't seized.

So I crank it over and NADDA. I get the hull completely drained and go to crank it over and it barely burps, but turns. I wait a bit, same thing, but each time it spits a bunch of water out the exhaust. I keep doing this and it starts to turn over a few times, each time getting better and better. Finally, it cranks and runs.....like a sick old woman. I let it run and then give it some throttle. It dies. I keep doing that until I can give it a tiny bit of throttle and it spits and sputters and throws all sorts of smoke out the rear. After about 5 minutes of this, BAM! It jumps back to life and runs like normal. I keep the flush kit installed and let it run for a good 10 minutes, I rev it several times, no issues. I shut it down and flush the engine compartment with fresh water, drain completely and run it again for about 10 minutes, reving every once in awhile.

Anyway,

My thoughts are

1) What would seem like a tiny leak became possibly a catastrophic issue. No cutting corners when I know better.

2) The so called BILGE PUMP should have been able to handle the small stream of water coming in. Or at least handled it better. I wasn't out on the water more than 30 minutes before it became overwhelmed.

3) I'm scared that I did permanent damage to the engine, but I did get it running right away and so there shouldn't be any corrosion of the internals, the water wasn't there long enough and I ran it long and hard enough to burn all the water off. I will probably change the oil, just for good measure.

Is there anything else I should do to ensure my engine is okay?

what is it with the port RE? My rxt block off wasn't even close to fitting properly.

don't know about your engine but good luck

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    you were cranking it with the spark plugs IN?

oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    you were cranking it with the spark plugs IN?

oh boy
    If it were my car, I'd have taken it to a shop and had it stripped and cleaned properly.

But my choices are pretty limited here. I'm not paying Seadoo $90/hour to take apart my engine and tell me everything is corroded over and must be replaced (after it sits for 2 days before they get to it.). So there was considerable risk with trying to get it cranked over, but letting it sit until tomorrow to tear it all apart was the bigger risk.

I'll replace the plugs and oil. Engine should be fine. I'll run it hard again tomorrow to make sure everything is cleaned out so to speak.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    what i'm asking is... were you trying to get the engine to turn over with the spark plugs still installed?

the issue isn't geting it cleaned out, these skis sink and take on water all the time, so long as they are properly fixed after water ingestion they'll run forever, but what alarms me is your descritpion of it not wanting to crank and then getting it to start and then trying to rev it up and this and that.. i'm just hoping a slightly bent rod wasn't inflicted through the procedures.

if you sink or take on water or hydrolock... you never want to hit the start button again until the spark plugs are OUT

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    what i'm asking is... were you trying to get the engine to turn over with the spark plugs still installed?

the issue isn't geting it cleaned out, these skis sink and take on water all the time, so long as they are properly fixed after water ingestion they'll run forever, but what alarms me is your descritpion of it not wanting to crank and then getting it to start and then trying to rev it up and this and that.. i'm just hoping a slightly bent rod wasn't inflicted through the procedures.

if you sink or take on water or hydrolock... you never want to hit the start button again until the spark plugs are OUT
    Mine didn't take on THAT much water. It wasn't filled. It was just choked a bit. As soon as it quit the first time, I let it be until I got it home. If it was FULL of water, it would have never turned over at all to begin with.

Change the oil, redo the blockoff and go run the s..t out of it. Don't wait a week.

I too cross threaded two of my block off bolts and wrung one bolt off. I was using ultra-black silicone which sealed well but I ended up replacing the spider nuts with a new set, $7 bucks I think, and easy to replace. I drilled out the blockoffs and dry fitted again then siliconed on...held fine.
    Last edited by lafjax; 12-10-2007 at 10:57 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    Mine didn't take on THAT much water. It wasn't filled. It was just choked a bit. As soon as it quit the first time, I let it be until I got it home. If it was FULL of water, it would have never turned over at all to begin with.
    stop talking and start listening.
    To Shibby.
    Just say 'yes sir' and pull the plugs first if this happens again. It's easy. Go buy a wrench and socket to do it, today.
    Shib is trying to save you four thousand dollars.

you'll bend connecting rods if you dont pull the plugs. i fix them all the time for that reason. also, if you get a hull full of water, you should pull the air box and completely dry it out. and make sure no water is in the fuel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    Let's explain this a little better. Your engine compresses air and fuel to burn. Air is compressible, you can squeese air into a smaller volume than you started with. So when your piston is at the bottom, coming up, it squeezes the air. Sounds simple. Now, fill your cylinder half way with water, the other half with air. The water won't compress, now your piston doesn't want to go up, But your starter is making it go anyway. Something has to give, usually your connecting rod. If you pull your sparkplugs out, all that water has somewhere to go. Your motor may still run with a bent rod. But the fuse on the time bomb is set.
    In your case, it's already been done. Damage or not. Next time, pull the plugs, turn it over for awhile, install plugs and start. It will or may save major engine damage. I hope everything is OK. i would have been freaking out if my hull was filling with water and no quick way to shore. Good luck. Try doing a compression test, that may tell you if something bad is about to happen.

Thread Information