Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Upgraded superchargers - Why all the mods for the OEM S/C? Why not a larger S/C?

Why do we keep upgrading impellers to no end, and pushing this thing to its absolute design and flow limits? All this work when we obviously need something with more flow capacity, that makes higher PSI for the larger power we are looking for, so I had an idea.

Why don't we use the supercharger drive shaft, and put a pulley on it? Then we can use any type/size of SC we want, and can increase boost via pulley size changes, like a normal S/C application.

Will the S/C drive shaft not assembly not support enough load to run a pulley off of it? another idea is why couldn't we drive it off of a flywheel pulley, like every other supercharger setup out there?

These just seem like much more logical approaches to making more boost, than to pay the ridiculous sums of money for the OEM chargers that have been re-worked and pushed to the extremes of its design?

I have been thinking about this for sometime, and just thought I would throw it out there. Comments? Ideas? lets here them!
    Last edited by boostaholic; 12-11-2007 at 11:29 AM.

+1
    i believe its HEAT!!!!!!! may be wrong but i think thats it!

+1
    I would like to see a smaller gear configuartion to increase the rpm of the the impeller = more boost, however the heat may be an issue.

has anyone tried this?

Go Turbo...

Sorry, just couldn't hold back

One thing I don't understand tough, is why do we need the clutch? I see that we need it if you let go the trottle on a stock ski, but a good BO-valve should do the job

If you make a smaller gear, then you'll need to put it out of center to be able to get it in line with the flyweel.

+1
    I have thought about that in the past as well, but with turbos and 13 - 16 psi superchargers utilizing the stock setup, it is less interesting to me now. It would take quite a bit of fabrication to build and attach the sturdy brackets needed to mount the SC, plus I do think SC shaft deflection would be an issue since you need pretty good tension to keep the belt from slipping, unless you use a cog belt, but then you would need to keep the crappy SC clutch. In theory you could use the rear of the supercharger and the SC shaft and attach a pulley, then build the bracket to hold the new SC, eliminate the clutch altogether and let the SC belt be the 'slip clutch'. But it would be a lot of work, and with what SCs and turbos are available now, I no longer see it as being worth the effort.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    yes,, it is my understanding that the clutch set up is a huge limiting factor ...larger wheels put to much load on the clutches and dont work ...??? wonder about possibly using some sort of free wheel system possible ratcheting so the engine can l slow independantly of the supercharger like a freewheel (a free spool) on a bicycle isnt that why we have clutches anyway so when we come unhoolked and the rehook suddenly slowing the rpm it doesnt try and twist the shaft in half ????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    yes,, it is my understanding that the clutch set up is a huge limiting factor ...larger wheels put to much load on the clutches and dont work ...??? wonder about possibly using some sort of free wheel system possible ratcheting so the engine can l slow independantly of the supercharger like a freewheel (a free spool) on a bicycle isnt that why we have clutches anyway so when we come unhoolked and the rehook suddenly slowing the rpm it doesnt try and twist the shaft in half ????

I know of something you are talking about, a sprag assembly or a one way bearing. But finding one that is small enough is the problem.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    ya that shaft is small ...1/2 drive ratchet!!! i wish it was that easy if there is another reason we have clutches ...speek up

+1
    if you put more stress on that 3cyl motor you'll kill it, and if your not a mechanic it'll suck your wallet dry, thats my cent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information