Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1

Difference between Mechanical and Haudralic?

What is the Difference between Mechanical Trim Tabs, and Hydraulic Trim tabs?

which do you guys prefer/which is better?

+1
    ttt ???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    What is the Difference between Mechanical Trim Tabs, and Hydraulic Trim tabs?

which do you guys prefer/which is better?
    Nothing other than how they are actuated. I prefer Fixed Tabs

In theory, the hydraulic systems are easier to use at WOT. I have HD trim on the 95 XP but it's for the nozzle, not the tabs. My 02 GPR SS uses mechanical trim tabs. Not very easy to pull at WOT. Not easy to hold either.

Can't necessarily say the hydraulic system is better than the mechanical system because each of my systems use different parts - tabs vs nozzle...

But still, in theory, a hydraulic system if well built, would make any trim system easier to use because the fluid does the work...

I don't know who makes a hydraulic system for GPRs.

+1
    I found the BEST way to use the mechanical tabs is to DITCH that stupid lever that comes with them, and use a standard $15 brake lever from the motorcycle shop, and wallow out the cable hole until it fits correctly. The effort becomes so ABSOLUTELY effortless, you have to check and see if you actually pulled a lever. Now, I won't run anything else, with my mech tabs.

R-pot made a hydraulic system, and you can still piece part one together from some of the latest SD aftermarket stuff...but the hydraulic wasn't any easier, and suffered from constant maintainence. Hated it.

Learning to setup the mech tabs is one of the most personal events you can do to your handling package. I routinely ran mine in the upward position, while released. When pulled, they would only come down to the flat position. Anything over that, would cause the gpr to nose in (for me) on some rough rollers. Literally lawn dart, and usually to the left. Very, very violent. Some folks set there's up with almost a full 1/2" of downward force. Man, that would scare the hell out of me in rough water, and must scrub AT LEAST 5mph in smooth water.

+1
    so mark, would you suggest to for me to get mechanical or haudralic tabs?

or no?

and you think if I do get them.. mechanical is the best?

Hmmmmm...

Hydro,
    I experimented with the placement of my mech trim tabs, and they are about 1/4" up when released, and maybe 1/2" down when activated.
    I've ridden in some really rough stuff, with no subbing. Then again, I have the mechanical trim still on with a 5 degree nozzle and I leave it at neutral or above, so that must help some.
    On smooth water, I lose 2 MPH when I pull the lever.

About the lever - mine is difficult to pull, also. Do you have a pic or resource so I can look up that motorcycle lever you used?

Eric

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Hydro,
    I experimented with the placement of my mech trim tabs, and they are about 1/4" up when released, and maybe 1/2" down when activated.
    I've ridden in some really rough stuff, with no subbing. Then again, I have the mechanical trim still on with a 5 degree nozzle and I leave it at neutral or above, so that must help some.
    On smooth water, I lose 2 MPH when I pull the lever.

About the lever - mine is difficult to pull, also. Do you have a pic or resource so I can look up that motorcycle lever you used?

Eric
    I believe it is just like any type of lever.. go to like a motorcycle shop, and look for the clutch levers... I believe thats it.

+1
    Yup, that's it. The larger longer lever works great but if you are pulling those plates down a 1/2" below the waterline... I can't imagine anything working, short of a cantelever system.

Anything over flat or a couple of mm's will really nose that thing down hard and slow.

Thread Information