Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

found big problem with my GP Pump shoe

some of you might remember on one of my posts that i was haveing problems loosing a lot of speed after changeing to a r&d intake grate.
    Yesterday i whent to pull off the pump shoe to inspect some silicone that was poping out the gap from the pump shoe to the rideplate.Under Mikes instructions i whent to undo the 4 bolts for the shoe and found that the back 2 where just spining.Under close inspection i noticed the gelcoat around the bolts had chiped away.2 hours later i had the hole ski apart to get to the nuts on the other side.turns out the nuts have riped through the hull and my pump shoe had been sitting 5mm lower at the back than the front and had been filling my ski with water.I have now reglassed the area from the inside with mikes help "Thanks Heaps" and tomoro i will machine up 2 plates and re drill the holes.

So to all you out there who own a Gp1300 2003 if your pump shoe is hangine low,your ski pulls to the left and your hull has water you no what to check.
    I think i am very lucking that i had just called mike for a chat and that he had pointed it out to me other wise my pore ski might of been sitting on the bottom of the river some where.
    thanks mike

+1
    This an old issue and one that is mentioned in many threads as one of the first mods to do after intake grate. R&D pump tunnel reinforcement and late model pump shoe inserts. the inserts are about $10 and well worth it they fit perfect and seal well. Glad to see you found your issue.

+1
    No problem Jason glad you find your problem early and not founding out when your ski is sitting in the bottom of the river.

Sounds like it was close to breaking away.

Glad to help.

What would of been happen when changing to the R&D grate it would of cause more suction pulling on the shoe causing much more of a speed loss.

Lucky i told you to see if your shoe was sitting higher than the hull.

Problem fixed now but i bet when the last mechanic check the shoe spun one of bolts and said nothing about it thinking it would be fine and now after a few hours you have a shoe pulled out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mik72e View Post
    Lucky i told you to see if your shoe was sitting higher than the hull.
    tell me about it.1 sociable call turned into a life saver.Only prob now is im itchy as all hell

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr1300 View Post
    tell me about it.1 sociable call turned into a life saver.Only prob now is im itchy as all hell
    glad you found mike he's a great guy and has lots to share..,dont forget your meet up when you guys next ride

paul..

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    This an old issue and one that is mentioned in many threads as one of the first mods to do after intake grate. R&D pump tunnel reinforcement and late model pump shoe inserts. the inserts are about $10 and well worth it they fit perfect and seal well. Glad to see you found your issue.
    do you have a link to the r&d pump tunnel reinforcement kit wouldnt mind seeing how they do it.I have alredy glassed the area with all the right gear and added atleast 5mm to the compleat serface area including up the tunnel wall.Going to machine some heavy duty inserts tomoro.

will post some pics tomoro

+1

do people often crack there tunnel.Im thinking now that i got it all apart maybe i should thicken up the tunnel to?

+1
    Yeah, Mike is a great resource for us Aussies... Last year he saved me loosing and engine with my GP1200R when I was down on power and pointed me to the Carbs which were rooted on close inspection (soo much for the $800 carbo rebuild 3 months earlier by the local Yamaha dealer).

Now I got my GP1300R, I have the R&D pump tunnel re-inforcement waiting to go on (with some other mods)... just waiting on the time to be able to do it (don't want to take the ski off the water now the summer is here).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information