Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Speedster 200 - 310hp or 430hp

Hi,
    I'm looking to get a Speedster 200 but haven't decided on the 310hp or the 430hp. I researched the boat tests and it seems that there's only about a 6-7mph top speed difference. And I've read around all these threads about the ceramic washer problem, etc with the 430hp. So, if you were going to buy one, which one would you chose and why?

I like the faster boat but I don't want to give up reliablity either for just a few mph's. Also, fuel consumption is better with the 310. I also notice in the tests that at the higher end cruising speeds the 310 was faster than the 430 at the same rpm's. That didn't make sense to me at all but maybe someone can tell me why.

The only thing is that I'd hate to get the 310 and have some clown come up beside me in the 430 and pass me up. I'd hate that!!!! I really really would hate that.

Anyway, I'd like to make a good logical decision and not just be driven by my need to be fast to the exclusion of all the other factors. Thanks for all your input.

If you wanted to be smart get the 310... think about feeding two bigger engines with fuel! Sounds like you have the "I wanna Go fast bug though"... in which case 310 is for pansies.

My head is telling me get the 310hp. It's more reliable, less fuel, probably longer life. It's almost as fast. Plus, I'm not going to be going flat out most of the time. Be smart, get the 310. Not to mention it's $5K cheaper for 6mph's of top end speed.

However, my heart says, get the 430hp. If the clown passes you, you're going to regret getting the 310 every day of your life until you get rid of it. You'll resent the boat and then it won't be fun anymore.

Head vs. Heart. The epic battle. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on the .................

If you are looking at a 2008 I believe they have changed the SC washers to metal.
    If you are gonna play you might as well play hard!! Get the 430, I would like to see the Speedster with 430.
    I know 6-7 MPH doesn't seem like much untill, you are looking at the back of another boat. Wouldn't it suck to have a 215 hp Speedster keeping up with you.

If you have the money 430HP is the way to go!!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike E
    Wouldn't it suck to have a 215 hp Speedster keeping up with you.
    Now, what would suck about that? Oh, I forgot, I don't have a 215hp Speedster.

'07 S200 sucked cause you had to pull two superchargers out and get them rebuilt before starting it, but you should be able to hit the water running with the '08 without doing that, so if you can afford the 430hp, it would be so much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
    If you are looking at a 2008 I believe they have changed the SC washers to metal.
    If you are gonna play you might as well play hard!! Get the 430, I would like to see the Speedster with 430.
    I know 6-7 MPH doesn't seem like much untill, you are looking at the back of another boat. Wouldn't it suck to have a 215 hp Speedster keeping up with you.

If you have the money 430HP is the way to go!!

Mike

Well, if they took care of the washer issue that is huge. I don't think I would've wanted to deal with that at all, especially on a brand new boat. The 430hp sounds a lot better now. However, I spoke with the sales manager at my local dealer and I was asking him about the 255hp engines and he told me that when they come out with a new one they always put it on the ski first and then the following year they put it on the boat. He told me, wait one more year and the speedster will have twin 255's. Have any of you also heard that? DARN! That's 510hp's!! I'd hate to get an '08 with 430 and the very next one that comes out has 510hp's. I'd have a fit. I know if they come out with the 510 it will be a while before they upgrade it again. I think I'm going to keep my 15' speedster with the twin 85's one more year (it's in great shape and super fun) and then get the 510hp speedster 200 next year. What do you think the top speed will be with 510hp's?

Unless they change the pump intake, I'd have to say 61mph. Seems like alot more horsepower, but it gets exponentially tougher to make top speed gains in these boats, with so much hull having to be in the water to feed the jets. Be prepared for that '09 to be at least $2-3K more, but that gives you more time to save for it.

Well it may not be worth the wait just to get 2 extra mph out of it.

I have an 06' SeaDoo Utopia SE with twin non-s/c 4-TEC's. I'm very happy with the performance of this boat even as it's SeaDoo's heaviest 20' model. It's amazing how you can get a 3000 lb. boat to drive like a PWC. I've done a lot of contemplating about purchasing a S/C model but after realizing that with S/C motors you need to run premium gas along with how bullet proof the non-S/C 4-TEC's are I decided to stay with my current boat. I don't know about the Speedster but in the Utopia series the S/C models are $5000 more. To me it wasn't worth it. If you choose the non-S/C version make sure you change out the impellers and you will notice a dramatic difference in hook-up. Just my two cents.......Good luck.
    Last edited by spd5535; 12-15-2007 at 01:42 PM.

+1
    I was hoping to see some boat experts post on this thread, but since they have not ... I gotta say I would disagree on the 510 hp setup only going 61 mph. IF it only went that fast stock, some very minor add-ons should easily get it going upper 60s at least ... other people have built up 430s to basically be 510 hp equivalents and once they were dialed in with the right props, etc, went over 70 mph.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information