Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Honda year with best valve springs

What year of the Honda turbo model has the upgraded (better) valve springs? I was trying to search on Honda Parts Direct on their exploded diagram section, but I found all kinds of part numbers for the different years.

Quote Originally Posted by baba booey View Post
    What year of the Honda turbo model has the upgraded (better) valve springs? I was trying to search on Honda Parts Direct on their exploded diagram section, but I found all kinds of part numbers for the different years.

05' and newer ARX1200N3 I can get you the part #'s you need, just bought the stuff, I have a thread in the how to section about this.

So the non turbo models have the better springs?

I build Horsepower
    +1
    I would not buy any of the stock parts, If you do you are wasting your time.

The same outer springs are used on all years (part # 14751 which is a motorcycle part also), and they get weak and break. The inner-spring is only used on the N/A models. They to will weaken and are a bike part used on a PWC.

The Turbo even though it does not rev as high as the N /A it puts a great deal of strain on the valve train because there is 15-18PSI of boost on them. Which the springs have to fight, The N/A and street motorcycle does not have this problem.

You need a good shot peened spring, or you have not accomplished much except learning how to remove a cylinder head and wasted your money.

Shawn

Cost.... I posted at http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43865

Quote Originally Posted by NitroShark View Post
    I got some Titanium spring kits here, so we could at least update the Head and valve spring problems would not be an issue. Kit is $495 (forum price) with all the required parts, Normal List is $635

Im not challenging what you are saying shawn, but...... you never tested the springs in question so you dont really know what will happen or how long they will last, so to say"they will break too" You don't know that. Every spring I saw you break was the outer spring, never saw in anything you ever posted about hondas, breaking the dual springs.

Anyways, Im going to try it, cause at 142 hrs, I have sevral weak springs, so if the dual springs last 242 hrs, Ive accomplished somthing. I dont see how they are not BETTER than what we have, but not better than your package shawn. I look at what would be most cost effective, your springs will probably out live the motor, however I will not have the ski when that happens so.... the money I save on not Buying the nitro springs, can be used for somthing else.......ie....... turbo........baby comming.........christmas....... etc...

I build Horsepower
    +1
    I have tested the springs in question, and broke the outer one, just like you will. Because its the same spring used in both models.

The inter-spring is a Honda street bike spring which has been used for years. Anybody that has ever built a turbocharged or Hi performance Honda has changed them, Including myself on one of my Honda drag bikes.

I have a bench top spring tester. I don't just make this stuff up but rather I actually know what I'm talking about.

I'm not the only one who has a good spring kit, I would think others could be tested and see how you like them but rather, I'm just telling you that the stock ones won't work for a (extra) Boosted motor.

Good luck on your experiment, hope it works for you.

Shawn

I will have to agree with Nitro on the springs. It is amazing what a good set of performance springs will do to a boosted engine that is running high RPS all the time under a full engine load. I would spend the extra coin and get them. Keep in mind that a water craft is under a constant load all the time, unlike a car or bike, where you let off of the throttle and coast or not at a full engine load all the time, turning over 6000 RPMs for hours at a time. This dose cause stress on the valve train. Nothing wrong with mine, but I am considering adding Nitro's valve springs to my list of must do soon list.

I was just fishing for information. I do not plan to mod my ski at all. I just wanted to know if my springs were going to prematurely fail on me since I have an 05 turbo and I did not know which year/model have the "better" springs. I am using the word "better" loosely.

I enjoy getting information from experienced engine builders (like Shawn) who have done a lot with/for the Honda watercraft.

Charles
    Last edited by baba booey; 12-15-2007 at 05:43 PM.

The duel valve springs are better than the single spring set up that is found on the older Honda's.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Let me post some facts for the Auqatrax....

1) All years of Honda Aquatrax turbos use a single spring.

2) All years of Honda Aquatrax N/A (normally aspirated) use a dual spring.

The single spring used on the turbo is the same used on BOTH N/A and the turbo model.

The single spring is what breaks with extra boost. (modified)
    The single spring has been reported the break with a few stock skis but not a known documented problem at this point

sg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information