Super Charger Help

Hi,

I am puting a rebuild kit through my SC. I have had to remove and install the inner bearing retaining ring and the OEM yellow sealant / thread lock has come off the ring.

Does anybody know if the yellow coating is an OEM thread sealant or thread locker. The shop manual simply states to add thread locker (loctite) when putting back in. However my concern is that the OEM yellow stuff is a thread sealant providing a seal from the crackcase.

Thoughts or suggestions for an alternate yellow stuff??

Cheers

Stabs

if talking about the retaining disc it comes with loc-tite from the factory on new ones.......the yellow stuff is loc-tite....screw it to it
    Last edited by cosmic; 12-17-2007 at 05:23 PM.

If this is a yellow coating, i think it's called Scotch Grip or something like that, it's a kind of dried thread locker...just brush that balance remaining on the threads (clean the used one) and then simply use regular 243 blue thread locker either from Permatex or Loctite, but make sure to use non permanent...i.e. not the red one...!
    Last edited by Jeepster; 12-17-2007 at 07:56 PM.

This is from the Seadoo manual to the left of the disc you see where it says threadlocker is already on the disc........do not apply your own.....interpret it how you want but I go by the book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04794.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	550.1 KB 
ID:	48722  

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicMS3 View Post
    This is from the Seadoo manual to the left of the disc you see where it says threadlocker is already on the disc........do not apply your own.....interpret it how you want but I go by the book.
    Hey Dude...
    This is exactly what i said....if you use the old one = you need some to be added on....but if you use a brand new one = don't need to put some as it comes with it. I highlighted a part of my answer posted up here.
    Last edited by Jeepster; 12-17-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Now that I reread the topic I understand what he's saying now. my bad......thanks for the help Jeepster
    Last edited by cosmic; 12-18-2007 at 01:37 PM.

just to make you aware this retainer is updated when you use the updated kit for older s/c.

Thanks for all the help,

All back together now, and waiting for some good weather (after towing the ski 700 miles).

As a last point of interest I consulted the engineer of the house about the thread lock / tread seal and she advised that the thread on the retaining disc is tapered, providing that it is not over torqued it creates its own seal. Bottom line the yellow goo is a thread locker.

Cheers

Ozi Stabs

+1
    I've been looking for info on this topic, is there any update? When disassembling a charger to replace only bearings, or just to check bearings what are ppl using on the retaining disc threads now? It's been a while since this thread was touched, but i thought this would be better than making a new one...

I looked into buying that yellow stuff, it is definitely NOT readily available... i just want to make sure that i don't need some sort of sealant and thread lock conbination, because that's what i feel like the yellow does. I don't wanna have to buy a while new SC kit just to look in on and replace my bearings...

Thread Information