Thread: Skype

+1

Anyone using Skype??

Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1
    i use skype...

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Personally I thought I sucked when compared with YIM.

+1
    i liked it..

+1
    I'm signed up, but havent used it in a long while.

It seemed like it tried to load all the freakin time...not when I wanted it to. Kind of like cheezy spy ware, but not really.

+1
    Lot of video lag compared to yahoo or msn

What is it? I have it on my myspace but never really looked to see what it was...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Skype user comments

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Anyone using Skype??
    I use Skype, primarily for voice, but also for some text chatting.

Skype Voice calls work well most of the time. The best audio quality is between two computers running Skype - it can sound better than a good telephone link, but sometimes it can have poor sound quality. Skype computer to computer voice calling and text chat is always zero cost, other than the Internet connection.

I also use Skype for calls from my computer to real telephones. In January of 2007 I purchased the one year, flat rate for anywhere in US & Canada. Current cost, I think, for one year of Skype calling is $30 (to US & Canada).

Calling to places beyond the US and Canada, costs about 2 cents per minute.

Skype is based in Europe, so their core pricing is in Euros, but they can work in other currencies. You just select what currency you want to use, and purchase some Skype credit. I usually buy 10 Euros worth (about $14), which last me a long time.

Note that with Skype calling to regular telephones, the destination country determines the price per minute. Where you and your computer are calling from, makes no difference to the cost. You can be anywhere in the world, and as long as you have a half decent Internet connection, you can call real telephones at the cheap Skype rate for the destination country.

Skype call quality does vary. Computer to computer, it is affected by the speed and quality of the Internet connections at both ends, and any Internet backbone congestion. Usually, if the connection is poor, I disconnect, and retry the call a minute or two later. Often that is all it takes. Use a good quality headset with microphone. Using desktop or laptop speakers and a cheap or built in microphone makes for poor audio.

Skype to real telephones; the quality also varies, and again the best fix is to try the call again.

Skype, the company. The technology works. They do have competitors, but I have not really investigated them. The company itself can be a hassle to deal with, and customer service tends to be unresponsive. Eventually things get sorted out...

Installation tip:
    When configuring Skype on your computer, take the time to configure your broadband Internet router to forward the IP port number your particular Skype installation is using.

Look in Skype-Tools-Options-Advanced tab-Connection. The port number will be listed. Access your router's configuration settings (look in the router manual), and configure Port Forwarding for the Skype port number. You will need to enter or select the IP address of your computer, so the router will forward all incoming Skype packets addressed for the Skype port number to your computer.

In Skype-Tools-Options-Advanced-Connections, click the checkbox "Display technical call info".

Once you have your router configured, you can make a call to Skype address echo123. This is a special Skype test address. You will hear a recording, then be prompted to leave a test message, then it will play back your test message. While all this is going on, if you hover your mouse over the call status window, a box will pop up with a bunch of technical info.
    Look for UPD status: Local:Good Remote: Good

Local:Good tells you that Skype is able to efficiently receive voice UDP packets from the outside world, and they are not getting sidetracked by your Internet router.

If you are connecting to another Skype computer user, and it shows Local:Good but Remote:Bad, that means at the far end their router is not forwarding the Skype UDP port packets correctly into their computer. Note that their Skype port number will be different from yours.

+1
    yeah.. I used it for computers...

playing online ( call of duty 2 )

I could be in a room, with my team for a clan match, and talk to the whole team through skype so the other team doesn't hear us...

Also being a Ref-Mod for Gamebattles... we would use it and another program.. so that if we had trouble, or other refs had trouble.. then we could talk to them while in a room....

I used to call people like to there home line phones, but now it costs money.. so isn't worth it..

It would be pretty cool if GH would get like a skype room, on the site for each of brands ( yamaha, seadoo, kawi....etc. )

So when your on, you can talk to the people.. quicker communication..

Thread Information