Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question, Ogechee & Savanah River in Georgia

I'm new to jet ski's (recently purchased an 02' gti & 95' xp) My sister lives down in Georgia & I plan to bring the ski's down here in may.

So... She lives in Richmond Hill, GA and is near the Ogeechee (sp?) River and of course the Savanah River. What are the local launch points for jet ski's and what are some of the rules on the water here? Anything I should avoid or be aware of?

Thanks,
    -=Rick

+1
    PM me when time gets closer. I'd love to meet you there and ride the snake trails again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoovermaneuver View Post
    PM me when time gets closer. I'd love to meet you there and ride the snake trails again!!!

That would be cool! I'm still kinda nervous as I just bought them and havent really tried getting on them in the water or even ridden them very much as it was the end of the season. so I don't know how that would be?

I will PM you then though! As I would like to go riding with someone that knows the area better then I.
    -=Rick

+1
    You will love it. Savannah has a little of everything. It's always better to ride with someone in case something happens. Talk to you around May.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoovermaneuver View Post
    You will love it. Savannah has a little of everything. It's always better to ride with someone in case something happens. Talk to you around May.
    I agree, thats why after buying the 95' XP I bought the 02' GTI because I would like to beable to have a friend go riding as well makes it more safe and fun. plus I'm a BIG guy so the GTI is better for me it may not be as fast as some of the ski's I see these guys have like the GTX or RXT ect.. but I'm a beginer anyway..

Sucks being winter aroud here! I want to go take them out! I'm looking not at buying a depth finder for the GTI as it has an open spot for a gauge and here at home the river I will be mainly riding on is very shallow in many spots and it might help.

I'm not 100% sure yet if I will be down there in may or what but I should be going down there anyway my mother and grandmother are down there staying at my sisters house as she is over in IRAQ right now she is a piolit and should be coming home sometime around May for leave.. but we'll see what happens.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted!
    -=Rick

BTW I am trying to attach a pic of my skis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	771.8 KB 
ID:	50166  

Savannah River

We are planning a February trip on the Savannah River, from Augusta to Savannah. It is a 180 mile run on the river. Straight line distance between cities is about 120 miles. I guess that is what "snake trails" means. That river twists and turns the whole way! Thing is... there are no marinas between the two cities. In fact, it looks like there is basically no anything...it is basically unpopulated along the river and the only signs of civilization you will see are a few highway bridges that cross. We have only found one solution. Route 301. There is a public ramp with 40 parking spaces under the bridge on the Georgia side. It looks like it is just about halfway between Savannah and Augusta. So you have to have fuel enough for the 90 mile run up to Augusta (we'll need to carry extra fuel jugs)...fuel up at a marina in Augusta and return to the ramp. Then drive to the nearest gas station (5-10 miles from ramp) to refuel then make the Savannah leg and refuel there for the return to the ramp. check out this website for a Savannah River PWC tour. This is an outfit that supplies the skis, fuel, accomodations etc. If you go through the pics you will see that they bring their own fuel trailer to a remote ramp to fuel up their tour clients! Look at the "TOURS" tab to find the description of their 3 day trip which is about $1000 plus fuel.

http://www.pwctours.com/gallery/Savannah/index.asp

We're from Cape Cod, so there is a couple of other things that caught our eye....Georgia has six poisonous snakes and there are alligators on the Savannah! Creepy! But not that creepy. But if you break down or run out of fuel away from the cities... you are hosed. It's a long hike through swampy pine forests. If you have Google Earth you can follow the river from Savannah to Augusta...you will see what I mean. Oh, one more thing, somewhere on the lower half you can see a nuclear power plant near the river. Don't try to visit. It is one of the most heavily guarded/armed plants in the country. Just stay on the river and go right by.

+1
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=Ga&zipcode=

What I call "Snake Trails" are windy switch back trails that are only 4 to 10' wide. Taking them as fast as you can never knowing what might be around the next bend. YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaa!!
    Zoom in some on the map and it is all those little fingers trailing off. We found a great trail last time we were there. At the beginning of the trail there is a small beach that we can sit back and take a break.
    Last edited by Hoovermaneuver; 01-01-2008 at 06:11 PM.

TTT I'm still trying to figure out when I will be down there it might be the end of this month early May.. I can't wait! is anyone else up for a ride?
    -=Rick

I have a place in Savannah, so I may be up for a ride. When are you heading down there?

Quote Originally Posted by xylene View Post
    I have a place in Savannah, so I may be up for a ride. When are you heading down there?
    I should arrive the 3rd of may (saturday)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information