Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

I know what Jesus would do, but what would you do?

We kind of inherited a couple and their 10 year old son from New Orleans, Katrina folks. These are basically good people, but have worn out their welcome, big time. I almost feel like I have 3 more children. Trouble and bad luck seams to follow them, in massive quantities. They got settled here but struggle every day. The wife does not have a job and her husband just lost his $14.00 an hour job.
    So here is the deal, I get a real nice bonus at the end of each year, over 12K this year. I was going to buy 2 used 05 1300Rs and get 3 4-wheelers for my boys, already put down payment on the 4 wheelers. So the question is, do I just take care of me and mine, or do I do the Christian thing and give these guys some money to help keep them a float?
    I tried the teaching a man how to fish thing but these people can't even find water.

+1
    You need to watch the Boonedocks episode about the Katrina folks.

Are they living with you now? Can you give a little more explaination about how you know them?

+1
    They are living in a rental house in a crappy part of town since this is all they could afford. We meet them through our church. One of the folks there had a rental house and let them stay there 6 months free so they could get on their feet. The catholic school with the church gave a full tuition to their son who is in the same grade as mine. The boys quickly became freinds and us parents did too. Since they did not know hardly anyone else, they do not go to the church and have no social skills, so we are it. They have a p.o.s. car so any needs for a truck, they call me. The car breaks down, they call me, need help with a bill, me, computer for kids school work me; you get the drift. It would not be such a big deal but we are the only people they know and can, or will, turn too. I almost am willing to pay them to go back to N/O where their family is but how do you tell them that. And then I will have to take my weekends to get them there. Like I said, they are not bad people, just starting to get under my skin. Now the guy gets fired @ Christmas and now I am feeling like an azzhole for feeling the way I have been. I want and could help, but damn, when will it end.

+1
    You answered you ? in the 1st part of the title...

Do what your heart tells you to do....

DG

Some people can't get the breaks. Others get them. Some don't want the breaks because they don't want things bad enough.

This is the way I look at their money problems from an outsiders view. The skill to make a lot of money is part luck and part skill but any man or woman can make a living if they work hard enough at it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    I want and could help, but damn, when will it end.
    It will never end, my mom helped out a fellow nurse at her work with bills, and this nurse was always asking my mom for money, and my mom kept helping until this nurse got fired. The person that fired this nurse was my mom because this nurse was taking too many smoke breaks and they were lasting way too long (usually a hour long, 4 times per shift, supposed to be 15 minutes every 3 hrs). Once this nurse was gone another nurse was asking my mom for money for bills or grocerys.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrich View Post
    It will never end
    I agree. As long as they know they can leach off of you they will. Once you cut the ties and they get hungry enough they will do for themselves.

You have already done the honorable and christian thing by doing all you can for them and Kirk you are a great person for that

Katrina was how long ago? They should be doing for themselves by now.

+1
    I know that there are some people who make their own problems and that this is the case here. I bust my ass to get what I have and they could have done the same. I just feel bad for the kid and even though I should not, I guess I am feeling guilty that I spoil my kids, and myself and could help them if I wanted. It's Christmas, the time of giving and this would be a good life lesson for my kids. My kids are humble, but if they knew that they could have each had a 4 wheeler instead of sharing 1,.........

Two years in my opinion is MORE than enough time to recover from their losses.You are being taken advantage of my freind.An old but true adage comes to mind here,there is a difference between a hand-up and a hand-out.You are too kind,you have gone above and beyond charity.Let them go with a clear conscience and take care of your own.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    I wish I were qualified to answer this eloquently. But, it reached a point at which it has emotionally and financially burdened you. Be honest with them and yourself. You can no longer afford to support them either financially or emotionally. They have to stand on their own two feet. The fact that you feel bad for them speaks volumes for your character. Now let them decide their own future.

edit: after all, we're just confirming a decision I think you've already made.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information