Question Winterization help

I just bout a drill powered pump to pump antifreeze through my engine. I plugged in the rear, started the motor and started pumping. It took just a little for the antifreeze to drip out the riva exhaust, and shortly after i seen the antifreeze it started puffing white smoke

Did I do something wrong. It wasnt running that long. I have had it running longer with no water. Plz help

+1
    that sounds right. how much antifreeze did you pump thru the engine???
    and did you see any shooting out the side of the ski??
    thats the tell-tale, or pisser...
    hopefuly you got enough pressure to pump it out the pisser, that pretty much guarantees you got enough pressure to flush the ENTIRE cooling system with antifreeze.
    cuz you need to make sure you got antifreeze into the engine, IC, and exhaust.
    i typically pump 2-3 gallons thru, and reuse the 2-3 gallons on 3 skis. use buckets to catch the used stuff as it shoots out the back of the ski, etc.
    i use an electric sump pump, but many use a 500gph bilge pump and it works fine.
    just make sure you saw antifreeze coming out the pisser
    you can run it on antifreeze to pump thru for 2-3 minutes, it really only takes 30 sec to 1 minute to really flush if you have a good pump.
    especially where you are MO its really cold, you wanna make sure you get the antifreeze everywhere. you can probably run 3-4 minutes no problem , cuz its so much colder when you start.

+1
    when you are winterizing the RxP, Its not going anywhere near the engine. The engine is closed cooled. All you are doing is flushing the I/C, and the exhaust. Its a matter of pulling a couple of lines, draining them, and then pouring antifreeze through them. takes less than 1/2 gallon to do.

+1
    oops , you are correct Zone5. no raw water engine cooling on the 4tecs.
    i do the pump method cuz i am winterizing 4-6 skis at the end of the season, and a boat.
    its quicker than unhooking all the hoses for me. also some of the skis are older models and standups...
    i also use a refractometer to check that the antifreeze is still good to at least -20, adding more if needed.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    oops , you are correct Zone5. no raw water engine cooling on the 4tecs.
    i do the pump method cuz i am winterizing 4-6 skis at the end of the season, and a boat.
    its quicker than unhooking all the hoses for me. also some of the skis are older models and standups...
    i also use a refractometer to check that the antifreeze is still good to at least -20, adding more if needed.
    Either you are a meticulous mechanic or you make homemade adult beverages

Thank you for the help. I didnt see it come out the pisser. It barely came out the exhaust. All I had was a drill pump and it didnt have a whole lot of pressure. Just enought to pump it through to the exhaust.

The best way to Winterize your ski is too , get a bucket, a 50gph boat bilge pump and a hose, use the bilge pump( while hooked up to a small battery) to pump the antifreeze threw the motor while the motor is running, the swrew pump will work, but the pumps dont last or hold up. Then remove the fuel rail and fogg the motor out. Also dont forget to change the oil, before you put it away.

+1
    what?? doesnt everybody have a still in the backyard?
    slurp, gurgle gurlge

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    what?? doesnt everybody have a still in the backyard?
    slurp, gurgle gurlge
    Lets just say, a refractometer isn't a very common house hold tool.

Thread Information