Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A night of being homeless, my experience

I just wanted to share my experience I had being homeless for one night.

To start this was a project I did for school. I am a Criminal Justice student at the local technical college. This project was extra credit for class so to say it was not required. The project was designed to raise awareness about what domestic abuse victims, and how you may just have to walk away with nothing.

The guidelines of the project were: we were allowed to dress for the weather. ~20 degrees when we started. We had to give up any thing that may have value (watched, wallet, cell phone, cigarettes, ect.) We couldn’t solicit any one we knew within the past two years for help. Of course we couldn’t do anything illegal. There were two groups of 4 people for safety. The two groups could not combine. No individual could leave the group.

Our task was to survive the night out on the streets. We had to meet our instructor at a local restaurant that is about 4 miles away. We started at 5 pm Monday and finished at 6 am Tuesday. The temp was about 13 during the night.

This sounds easy enough but I would not choose to do this again.

We walked a lot. We went to the local shopping mall just to hang out. Couldn’t buy any, no money. We did get a free piece of sample chicken. Then we walked through about 10 drive thru’s to pick up change that was dropped at the window. Was only got .96 We asked lot of places for food that they would be throwing out but everyplace said no. I found someone that was nice enough to give me a dollar. My group then bought a soda to have. At about 11pm we set up at a laundry mat. We all were getting very hungry since the project started before most of us ate dinner. We stayed there until about 4:30 am when we had to walk to the restaurant. Its tough trying to sleep on a hard table. The building wasn’t that warm either. I think the total distance we walked through out the night would be about 15 miles.

Like I said I would not do this again. One I didn’t need the extra credit. I got sick to from being outside. Have been up for 24 hour before but is a lot different when you are cold and hungry.

One thing that I found disappointing was we went to McDonalds to get a soda and we were .10 short and the lady wouldn’t help us out. That was all right we ended up with a better deal at kwick trip, 55 oz. Soda for a 1.29.

I think the experience is important though and you really cannot know how hard it is to live on the streets, especially when you can’t ask friends for help. Just be appreciative of what we all have.

+1
    Great Post!!!bet!!!! I Thank God Every Day For What I Have.toddo

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Just remember that you knew you had a warm bed waiting for you at the end of your excursion. Think how it feels to know that's what awaits you every night. I'm not trying to downplay your experience but I don't think you even saw the tip of the iceberg. Didn't have to figure out where to bathe. I'm sure no LE's approached you and asked for ID. Trust me I know, I was homeless for two years. IMO, of all the life experiences I've had (college, football, military) homelessness was the biggest character builder of them all.

I got locked out of my house one night and had to go to a hotel, it sucked pretty bad.

+1
    I try to tell my kids all the time how easy they got it. Kids these days really really don't know how easy they have. There are many people out on the streets living life in horrible conditions, no nutrition, warm bed and jobless.

We Live in the greatest country in the world.My question is and let me vent. When are we gonna take care of our own.We take care of third world countries.Brad and the blond Bimbo adopt children from other countries. What the orfans here are not up to par for them.Give me a break.This country should start taken care of it's own for once.

God bless everyone and Merry Christmas.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Len View Post
    We Live in the greatest country in the world.My question is and let me vent. When are we gonna take care of our own.We take care of third world countries.Brad and the blond Bimbo adopt children from other countries. What the orfans here are not up to par for them.Give me a break.This country should start taken care of it's own for once.

I still have issues with large companies outsourcing to other countries for cheaper labor. We've got too many Educated Americans here that need work and/or can fill the positions

I guess the difference is that some Americans feel that people here in the U.S. have a lot more open doors and opportunities than people in other parts of the world, so they don't feel as bad or feel the need to help out as much. Maybe?

+ 1

+2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information