Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

anyone used prop housing with plastic replaceable wear rings?

Looking at my options, I've just found these I haven't seen before. Has anyone used them? I'd imagine that they would wear quicker and not be as good as metal options?

http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/pum..._wear_ring.htm

+1
    I'm guessing that this is still the better option ?

http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...20Wear%20Rings

Many of us are using the plastic rings. It helps from preventing your from taking out the prop if you suck something in. Its weaker then metal so it will give way first. The original idea was that it wont blister like the aluminum and stainless sandwiched ones that originally came out years ago. There haven't been a real speed differences with them and if anything this one gives you a tighter tolerance because when you install it is a tight fit and when you start it for the first time the prop eats away the excess and makes that tight fit all the way around with no gaps. Very easy to replace and the replacement are only 30 bucks or so.

+1
    so they are better then the complete stainless housing? (I was thinking of going that way.. but now maybe not?).

Only issue is I do a bit of wave jumping in the surf, so riding in sand churned up water I thought might wear the plastic rings quick as it does on the sea doo's (a friend with a seadoo went through 3 plastic rings in 4 weeks). (maybe they have a softer plastic? I don't know?)
    Last edited by Autosport; 12-20-2007 at 07:57 PM.

its going to show wear but as long as you cant see light or a gap coming through the space between the blades and the ring itself your fine.
    its going to look ruffed up, thats fine.

by the way I do alot of surf jumping myself and I only replace it once a year and even then I do it because I want to not because it needs to be done

+1
    Thanks for the info...

(only calcuating by the time you pay for three rings + shipping to Australia.. thats more then paid for a complete stainless item??... decissions - descissions.... )

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosport View Post
    so they are better then the complete stainless housing? (I was thinking of going that way.. but now maybe not?).

Only issue is I do a bit of wave jumping in the surf, so riding in sand churned up water I thought might wear the plastic rings quick as it does on the sea doo's (a friend with a seadoo went through 3 plastic rings in 4 weeks). (maybe they have a softer plastic? I don't know?)
    I ride lots of surf and even more shallow water in the bay... All of my ski's are plastic rings. I rather replace the $35 ring as it wears vs. an impeller.
    The seadoo rings are softer but your friend has other problems if he's going through rings that fast. On my Seadoo I usually get about 75 hours or so and I'm at 100+ on one of the rings in my yami.

Oh, I've never seen the solid stainless housings first hand but I hear they are VERY heavy.

Good Luck
    Doug

+1
    I have one in my garage and plan on using it soon. I agree with the guys about it wearing and not your prop at least these are inexpensive and easy to replace when the need arises. I also have the solid stainless riva version and it is fine, a little more difficult when installing the pump do to the use of nuts instead of being threaded like the OEM housing.

+1
    Iv'e used one and had no problem.
    In fact, the plastic was a bit too tight, and I had to tap the pump on with a hammer, and when I started the ski for the first time, there was a burning smell/smoke from the pump where the prop had to cut into the plastic!
    You won't get a better fit than that! No clearance whatsoever!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information