Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Suggestions for replacement Virage/Genesis/Freedom hood strap

I am looking for ideas on a good design to replace the poorly implemented OEM wire strap (aka Cable Limiter 7080853) that Polaris thought would be good enough to keep the Virage hood from opening too far.

Now that I have replaced the gas strut, the wire strap that keeps the hood from opening too far has broken. I don't want to simply replace it, as I think the design is poor, and too highly stressed.

Same part was used from 1999-2004, and I suspect a lot of them are now broken (along with the rusted gas struts).

I am looking for something that would not get bound up in the hood hinge when closed, and have plenty of holding power. Non-rusting materials, of course.

And fairly inexpensive to construct.
    Any ideas?

+1
    Can you limit the travel of the strut? Or something like a rod through a hole with a washer or nut.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Can you limit the travel of the strut?
    Or something like a rod through a hole with a washer or nut.
    The gas strut's fully extended length is longer than the full opening of the hood hinge, so the strut never reaches its internal stop.

I did consider creating a three part sleeve assembly that fit over the strut, and limited the travel, but that is more complex than I suspect is necessary.

I don't think there is room for a sliding rod and stop. I think it needs to either be a flexible material, or something that bends/folds.

I am considering a short length of SS chain between the two red circled bolts, but I need to keep it from bunching up and jamming the hinge assembly. And chain is not very adjustable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC149545b.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	49215  

use some nylon strapping like on a kids back pack, it will be a lot less clunky than chain, and if you "pinch" it while closing your lid it wont potentially mar your gelcoat. here is a drawing,

just fold the strap under itself where is meets the metal and use a pop rivet or two to hold it, you can twist it 90* also if you need to (like mounting to the flat bracket the meets the hull to the angled bracket on the lid). who knows, it may just look factory

just my thoughts.

thanks

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    You could also check at a autoparts store,Some carry a line of parts from a co. called HELP.You might find a cable for a tailgate from a truck or simular app.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmerjaxon View Post
    use some nylon strapping like on a kids back pack, it will be a lot less clunky than chain, and if you "pinch" it while closing your lid it wont potentially mar your gelcoat...
    I do like the web strapping approach; using a flexible material rather than rigid chain links.

I am also trying a short EDPM rubber tarp strap, which seems to have about the right stretch properties, but are made either too long at 9", or too short at 5". I will try punching some holes into the longer strap to find the right length. I suspect the rubber is going to be too stretchy, even with the length adjusted.

Using web strapping, I would need to find a source of non-rusting hardware to attach the webbing to the bolts in the existing bolt holes. Pop rivets are not going to work; I don't want to drill new holes if I can avoid it, and adjustment of the strap length would be difficult.

Also need to find some time to experiment...

Thread Information