Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

Bad News...HELP...

Let me start off step by step. I went out to the beach today, finally with the 14/17R installed and the Shuttle Craft. I have got to say WOW! That prop is really amazing on the acceleration side....The ski jumps out of the hole and hops a few times before settling down thanks to the new R&D intake grate. I also did the NOPAS. Anyways, with a full tank of 89 octane gas it went to 66.8 but I lost rpm's. I was at 8100 8150 now I'm at 7850!!!! At least I have a free re-pitch with PPG. It went up from 66.3 to 66.8 with dissapointed me but I guess I had a full tank, 84 deg temp 80 deg water and over 76% humidity.

Now for the bad news.....It almost sank!! My friend was riding it and was in front of us when I see him turn around and come to shore saying that it will not pass 17mph and was hessitating to get there. I take off the seats and it was almost FULL with water! I dont know how he did not sink! The RR exhaust pipe came off the stock rubber hose! It happened really fast because just about 30 mins earlier I had checked it to see if it was leaking from the newly installed OPAS block offs. Water was 2/3 up the RIVA filter and it freaked me out. I had emt a guy there that knows a bit about boats and skis and started helping me out while I was freaking out. We pushed the boat up to the sand as much as possible and I got my bilge pump and started pumping the water out. Once it was almost all out I took out the clamps from the intake to the s/c and there was water in there! And I would say it kinda was a lot. The guy told me to take out one of the spark plugs and try starting it up because if it had water it was gonna spit out. Took out the one closest to the back. Tried starting it and it did not spit out any water thankfully I dont know if I should have done that or not but the guy sounded confident that he knew what he was doing. So I put the plug back on and he said to ride it for a while to let it burn out the bit of water that got in, if any got in. At first it was hessitating a bit for about 3-4 mins and the beeping was driving me nutz....AFter that I started giving it a few WOT bursts and about 5 mins later it was running as if nothing had happened, accelerating great and hitting the 66.8mph....The beep continued for another 5-10 mins with the display being off almost all the time.....Now there is not beep or code...so it seems....and it runs "perfect"

Now the question is....was what I did good or bad....What should I do now....Im aready at the 100 hours so I am taking it in for the 100 hour service....

A couple of comments for next time:

1) You should have turned on the bilge pump immediately

2) You should have pulled all th espark plugs, not just one. If water was into the cylinders in one of the other 2, you would have been hurting

3) You should check the oil ASAP to ensure there is no water present

On the plus side running it to make sure any water is baked out is a good thing.

Sounds like you may have lucked out. I would still replace the oil and also recheck all the clamps.

a few years ago in my gtx I ended up ingesting alot of water. One of the key factors in saving the machine was replacing the oil as quickly as possible. It was very milky. Even the slightest evidence of milkyness will mess up the internals of ur engine is what the dealership said. So i changed the oil about 6 times and everything was great till the day i sold it. But with evidence of just a tab bit of water, an oil change couldnt hurt.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    sounds good GEO! seems you had a knowledgable guy on shore to help you out and asure that was was no water inside the cylinders. and riding it and beating on it WOT immediately following the incident was the best thing you could have done.

just as Mjammer stated, just give the oil a check and make sure it's ok. Would be prudent to change the oil as a precaution.

was that with the RR power flow or the RR resonator bypass. I am paranoid that this is going to happen to me w/ the RR bypass. I siliconed it and put two hose clamps on each side of the pipe. Still, I am a little nervous that this is going to happen to my ski.

beating on it WOT immediately following the incident was NOT the best thing he could have done! Remember this isn't a 2 stroke that has no oil in the case that can be dried out by running it. If he has water in the oil running it hard with watered down oil is a bad thing.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    assuming there was no water in the oil... it's the best thing he could have done

even if there was water in the oil, you change it a few times, and you want to get the engine smokin hot to boil out water vapors left in the bottom end... or go thru the boring boil-out procedure

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    It was the RR Power Flow. This pipe seems to be about an inch short so it was a pain the ass trying to do it right, that it why it came off.

I am definately getting rid of these clamps and getting t-bolts all over the place. Cody, you should do the same so you dont have to worry about it no more.

I am taking it in for the 100 hour service, which includes oil change and spark plug change right?

I thank God I brought that bilge pump with me on the Shuttle Craft! I think it's time to make it a permanent thing inside the bilge

Thanks for the info and suggestions

Thread Information