+1

Lake of the Ozarks Shootout Proposed Moved! Hurricane Deck

I hope they do this. This side of the lake is much nicer than down where it was! And the ride for me from the 47 will be much shorter.

LAKE OF THE OZARKS - Race fans will not be disappointed ' the 20th annual 2008 Shootout boat race will take place as planned Aug. 23-24.

There will be a few notable changes, however. The race will now be called Lake of the Ozarks Shootout and will move from the east to the west side of the lake.

That was the decision of the Missouri Water Patrol when it approved an application to host the race submitted by Ron Duggan of Captain Ron's.

The proposed two-mile course will run from the 32.5- to the 34.5-mile marker. It will begin just downstream from the Hurricane Deck Bridge and run along the southwest side of the channel.

The decision came just two days after three proposals were presented to a committee of Water Patrol officers and a representative of Lake of the Ozarks State Park.

Although the other two applicants, Topsider/Dog Days and Merlyn Vandervort of the Horny Toad Resort Complex, presented strong arguments for holding the race at their locations, the primary issue the Water Patrol was looking at was safety, according to Capt. Matt Walz.

'From a safety standpoint, the course proposed by Captain Ron's will allow us to push the race to one side, creating a straight course,' Walz said. 'Because of the location, it is the safest of those presented.'

'Ron Duggan has already laid the groundwork and lined up commitments from emergency service agencies to provide medical, fire, rescue and law enforcement,' Walz said. 'We will also be able to address the concerns that property owners in that area my have.'

Walz said the Water Patrol was glad to see the races continue and it will work with Duggan to get ready for the August event.

The application the Water Patrol signed off on has been in the works since August, according to Duggan. His goal was to bring the race to the west side and come up with a plan that incorporates adequate parking, viewing, a vendor village, family-oriented activities and the other events that have traditionally been part of the Shootout.

'Hosting the Shootout will give this side of the lake a chance to showcase what it has to offer and our unique lifestyle. I think we are a little more laid back over here,' he said. 'It's great news for the west side. We have the opportunity to keep the Shootout alive. The Shootout has an economic impact on the entire lake area and we want to see that continue. The race is just too big to let it die.'

Duggan said he thinks the event is going to be really exciting. The way the course is laid out will allow them to really push their speed, he said.

The location offers some protection from the big roller waves that sometimes forced racers to slow down early on the old course at the 21-mile marker, he said.

Going into the application process Duggan had the support of the Lake West Chamber and Lake of the Ozarks Marine Dealers Association. By race time next summer, Captain Ron's will have additional parking and dock slips to accommodate spectators. The Shootout will continue to raise money for lake area organizations.

The race had traditionally been held at the 21-mile marker and headquartered at Shooter's 21. This year, as the race got underway, the owner of the venue announced that he was moving forward with demolition to make way for a residential development.

Shortly after that announcement, representatives of the fire districts, who have organized the event and were the beneficiary of the proceeds, said they could no longer commit the time and resources to make the race a success.

Since then there has been concern that if an acceptable location could not be found, the Shootout would be cancelled.

http://lakesunleader.com/articles/20...20/news/01.txt

This is good news Mike,I missed going last year but hope to be able to make it in 08.

+1
    I'll be there this year.

+1
    We know a resort owner situated about the midpoint of the race track. He says eveyone is up in arms about the decision. Check this out.

To: Missouri Water Patrol
    Attn: Nick Humphrey

I just read the info on the new location for the Shootout at Lake of the Ozarks. I find several things that I would like to comment on:

I have concerns about the person/business that is sponsoring the race--Captain Ron's/ Dugan. I live in a cove at the 33 mile marker and remember seeing the Water Patrol in the main channel this past summer outside the cove of Captain Ron's. Captain Ron's is not a responsible provider of alcohol. If you have ever been there, they do stop serving a person alcohol if they become drunk, but only after they are drunk. If you check your records you will see the arrests made at the mouth of the cove for Captain Ron's. How is it that a business that is so irresponsible can get a permit to host this event?

Who stands to gain from this event--not the home owners or the Water Patrol but Captain Ron's/Dugan and the Marine dealers. So it is really a sponsored event that effects all homeowners for miles on each side of the event. I am not certain why this event is even held other than the pressure from the Marine Dealers and Captain Ron's.

In the news release you state that property owners on the west side -- assume this is the south side-- will get the opportunity to address their concerns on the race. As I understand the race will be on the bluff side--or south/west side. What about the property owners on the east side--actually north side of the lake. This is where the boat traffic will be and their docks stand to
    have more damage because of the boat traffic and large wakes!! Can I assume Captain Ron's will take all responsibility for dock damage?

Don't get me wrong--I do drink but know my limits. I believe the lake should be more for recreation than sponsored events. This event brings traffic, alcohol, accidents, public "stupidness" and generally a pain for you guys--I imagine. So why does it have to happen?? The fact that you have to have a helicopter and a place to take the injured indicates that this could be dangerous.
    Last edited by MikeTrin; 12-27-2007 at 08:43 PM.

+1
    It's a great event - let's hope it continues

do they let alot of pwc s on the lake that weekend ?

Quote Originally Posted by 97sltx1050 View Post
    do they let alot of pwc s on the lake that weekend ?
    You can bring 1000 of your own if you want. (No limit).

I like the move. It's farther from my house (18mm), but in a much better spot.

What is this guy smokin'? It's no-wake during the races. This event brings a ton of money to the businesses in the Lake area-Captain Ron's aside.

Lol----He says "I'm a drinker---but I know my limits". I'm sure he'll be one of the first to get busted once they change the legal alcohol limit on the lake to .08 .

Banned User
    Is there an age limite? When does it start? Is it a serious competition? Can me and my dad get into this? Price?

Thread Information