Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

exhaust question

The stock exhaust runs out next to the pump..why? Noise reduction?

Couldn't the shorty waterbox be sent out the side of that tunnel as well...on the same side though as the box itself?

Block off the old exhaust outlet....put one on the other side of the tunnel...increased perfomance...stock look and...who knows how much quiter than the exit out the back?

What do you all think?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    The stock exhaust runs out next to the pump..why? Noise reduction?

Couldn't the shorty waterbox be sent out the side of that tunnel as well...on the same side though as the box itself?

Block off the old exhaust outlet....put one on the other side of the tunnel...increased perfomance...stock look and...who knows how much quiter than the exit out the back?

What do you all think?

Not really noise supression, but for water return...

Water rushing back in after coming off plane has to now make a hard 90 degree turn, then anoother 90 to get into the hull....then up the peet trap, then into the waterbox, the up the JPipe, etc....

The resonator is there to eliminate the resonate frequencies associated with exhaust pulses....HENCE why people complain about exhaust once they remove the resonator but still keep the OEM exhaust exit location...

You sent your exhaust out of the left side opas opening. You can't put a block off on because it would be restrictive between the bo and the exhaust flange.

Wouldn't running the exhaust out the tunnel be similar to what you have, but enable you to run a bo? I mean....the exhaust pipe out the waterbox would be a little shorter than what you have and the 90* would face the center of the boat instead of the outside.

No?

Banned User
    +1
    You sent your exhaust out of the left side opas opening. You can't put a block off on because it would be restrictive between the bo and the exhaust flange.

Wouldn't running the exhaust out the tunnel be similar to what you have, but enable you to run a bo? I mean....the exhaust pipe out the waterbox would be a little shorter than what you have and the 90* would face the center of the boat instead of the outside.

No?

yea, I ran it out the side...
    nope, can't run a blockoff...

yes, dumping the exhaust out the waterbox would work in the same fashion the OEM system dumps out the resonator...

BUT, if you dump the exhaust into the pump cavity area, no matter what side, without the resonator in place...you WILL get an annoying resonance from 2500-4500 rpm, peaking around 3500...it HURTS your ears...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny
    if you dump the exhaust into the pump cavity area, no matter what side, without the resonator in place...you WILL get an annoying resonance from 2500-4500 rpm, peaking around 3500...it HURTS your ears...
    Ahh.....I see...(said the blind man)....I didn't realize that's where the resonance came from....I thought it was from the 3' + of exhaust hose inside the hull.

Banned User
    +1
    Ahh.....I see...(said the blind man)....I didn't realize that's where the resonance came from....I thought it was from the 3' + of exhaust hose inside the hull.

The pump cavity is basically a poor-mans pipe organ, capturing sound waves, so its gonna resonate...

When you do the exhaust out the back, or side in my case, you are not capturing the sound...there is nothing HARD (like a hull) for the waves to bounce off, only soft air-rated water...

+1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...8&postcount=32

Here is what Dannys exhaust sounds like coming out the side..Kinda like a jet plane going by

Snoman,

Yeah, I've heard that snip a while back. I like how quiet it is...but...when my speeds pick up will I be able to endure the ride w/o bo's...in the norm I ride in pretty rough conditions....will I need bo's on an rxt to maintain wot in 1'-2' chop?

Let's see here...what I should be asking....will an rxt porpoise w/o bo's in rough water below say....74-75mph?

Snoman,

Yeah, I've heard that snip a while back. I like how quiet it is...but...when my speeds pick up will I be able to endure the ride w/o bo's...in the norm I ride in pretty rough conditions....will I need bo's on an rxt to maintain wot in 1'-2' chop?

Let's see here...what I should be asking....will an rxt porpoise w/o bo's in rough water below say....74-75mph?
    Sure you will be able to endure the ride wo block offs on an RXT...at least until you get to 76-77 mph. I had the great RE Blockoffs on my RXT and sold them to buy a prop and never noticed a bit of difference in the ride.

+1
    ...when my speeds pick up will I be able to endure the ride w/o bo's...in the norm I ride in pretty rough conditions....will I need bo's on an rxt to maintain wot in 1'-2' chop?

Va,

I wish I could give you a acurate answer But i dont have a RXT and if I were to say it wont porpose would be a lie..I would say out of pure speculation if it were to porpoise it would be very minimal..I have ridin Dannys RXP and it doesnt porpoise at hi speeds...You would think it would but it doesnt..SO I would THINK you would be alright with the RXT..

There ya go..Larry(lafjax) has answered your question in the post above mine..You would be OK without the BOs...Thanks Larry ...
    Last edited by Snoman; 12-23-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information