Thread: Trailer Tires

Trailer Tires

For those of you needing new tires/wheels on your ski trailer I found some cheap over at Tractor Supply. My trailer uses the 4.8x12 tires, and the 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern... They had the tires already mounted on white painted wheels for $41 a piece! So for 82 bucks total I ogt new tires and wheels! That seems pretty reasonable to me! I just thought id pass that on to you guys looking for tires/rims!

Kurt

+1
    Hot set up on trailer tires get load range "C" NOT "B" or even get "D" rated . Some of the cheep tires you see are all "B" rated tires
    Last edited by 2fast4u; 12-22-2007 at 09:49 PM.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    http://stores.ebay.com/THE-TIRE-GEEK...Q3amesstQQtZkm

this guy really hooked me up over the summer. he's willing to cut a deal outside of ebay to save some $$ too if he doesn't have what you need listed, he can most likely get it.

+1
    I had C-rated bias ply tires on my trailer when I got it. I had a tread peel after three years and bought some C-rated radials. They had an even higher weight rating than my first set. Now my trailer bottoms the tire out on bumps. It looks like they are low on air I check them and they are right where they should be. Mind you I have a heavier than usual trailer hauling a GPR and an SUV with 4 gas cans and the front mounted tool box with about 100# of stuff in it. I am considering going back to the bias ply tires. They were what the trailer mfg put on it and he set it up for these skis. I just do not feel comfortable on those long trips with these tires. Maybe brand has something to do with it these are Carlisle tires. I would think Radials would be better.

Yea they may be B rated im not sure... I dont pull my trailer much, and the lake is not very far... I know they are Load Stars, thats the brand, seem pretty cheap to me lol. But I got a bargain, so im happy... I have three spares now though, because I have the original spare, and the old two tires that have descent tread left!

EDIT: I went out to put them on, and they are C rated!! I htought they were B's b/c they were so cheap, but I was wrong!
    Last edited by kurt1200; 12-23-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Carlisle radials are good trailer tires. Each load rating has an associated load weight. Figure up the total weight, ski/skis, fuel, tool box and trailer weight and use the apprpriate load rating...
    osidebill, you should realy look at what load rating you should use. I have 2 XLT 800's and use an "E" rated radial tire by Carlisle. The cheep tires will leave you on the side of the road. Especially if you haul long distance.

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    I had C-rated bias ply tires on my trailer when I got it. I had a tread peel after three years and bought some C-rated radials. They had an even higher weight rating than my first set. Now my trailer bottoms the tire out on bumps. It looks like they are low on air I check them and they are right where they should be. Mind you I have a heavier than usual trailer hauling a GPR and an SUV with 4 gas cans and the front mounted tool box with about 100# of stuff in it. I am considering going back to the bias ply tires. They were what the trailer mfg put on it and he set it up for these skis. I just do not feel comfortable on those long trips with these tires. Maybe brand has something to do with it these are Carlisle tires. I would think Radials would be better.

I would put a stiffer spring on the trailer or go with a torsion bar axle and keep with the radials.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodneyae View Post
    I would put a stiffer spring on the trailer or go with a torsion bar axle and keep with the radials.
    The spring is not bottoming the tire to rim is. They seem like they are under inflated. These were rated at almost 200# more than the previous bias plys I believe the bias plys have heavier side walls.

Now that is not a good sign. What brand are you running so I can stay away from them. As all I run are radials

+1
    Carlisle tires. After I bought them Robsauto told me he had some and had nothing but problems. He got the tire company to exchange them for some Goodyears.

Thread Information