Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Overheating problem 05 GTX ltd

Yesterday we installed an XS IC and a Thru hull exhaust. Install went well. today while checking the system for leaks using the under seat flush kit i am getting and engine over heat warning not exhaust warning. Does the close loop system needs to be in the water to cool???

The ride plate is like the radiator in your car. To answer your question, yes, the ski needs to be in the water for the cooling system to work as it was designed.

I know i usually don't have any problems when i run my ski out of the water for maybe a minute. Was the weather really warm out. Take the ski down to the lake and see if the same thing happens,

So are you saying that when you put the ski on the hose there is no cooling effect for the engine?

+1
    don't think you should be getting that warning if its running on the hose...

how long?

how long did u run it on the hose?

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGS View Post
    how long did u run it on the hose?
    5min using the under the seat connection. will the rear intake give me more flow??

Quote Originally Posted by bigrich007 View Post
    So are you saying that when you put the ski on the hose there is no cooling effect for the engine?
    Thats correct. When you run your ski on the hose, on the trailer, the water from the hose is only cooling the intercooler and exhaust. The water from the hose does not cool the engine. The engine cooling system is closed loop like a car and the ride plate is the radiator. The ride plate is cooled by the lake when the ski is in the water. So when you run the ski on the trailer the ride plate is not being cooled.

5 min on the trailer seems kinda long too. I don't think you should run the ski more than 2 min on the trailer. You also don't want to wreck the carbon seal (seal that goes around the drive shaft). That seal it cooled and lubricated by water.

I'm assuming you have checked for leaks on your new mods. Check the coolant level, if ok, take the ski to the lake and test it. You'll probably find you just had an over heat alarm from running it on the trailer to long.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsRXT View Post
    Thats correct. When you run your ski on the hose, on the trailer, the water from the hose is only cooling the intercooler and exhaust. The water from the hose does not cool the engine. The engine cooling system is closed loop like a car and the ride plate is the radiator. The ride plate is cooled by the lake when the ski is in the water. So when you run the ski on the trailer the ride plate is not being cooled.

5 min on the trailer seems kinda long too. I don't think you should run the ski more than 2 min on the trailer. You also don't want to wreck the carbon seal (seal that goes around the drive shaft). That seal it cooled and lubricated by water.

I'm assuming you have checked for leaks on your new mods. Check the coolant level, if ok, take the ski to the lake and test it. You'll probably find you just had an over heat alarm from running it on the trailer to long.
    will put in the water on Monday hope you are right

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrich007 View Post
    will put in the water on Monday hope you are right
    hoopsrxt is right, thats bob on info

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsRXT View Post

Yes you were right no overheating problems at all. XS IC gave me a 3.3 mph gain and acceleration you would not believe, ski launches out of the water. Will post numbers after tweaking and more testing

Thanks Big Rich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information