Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just bough 96XP..motor upgrades

Whats up everyone? JUst bought a 96 xp, turns out front cylinders water jacket is cracked....I can either repair it and cross my fingers and hope the cast aluminum brazing holds up, or rebuild top end, and go bigger/better of course....Just trying to get some input, what do people think about boring the cylinders, modifying the stock heads, rejetting carbs, maybe a full exhaust including waterbox, different impeller?...Anyone got set-ups similar? My plan is to get the motor out soon, take a look at wear and tear on top end to determine if i got to dig into the lower end.....then from there not to sure what to do....stock cylinder? std size pistons?.....etc....JUst trying to get a plan/blueprint to follow...new to the sea-doos....Any feedback would be great! Thanks alot guys.....

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoyToise View Post
    Whats up everyone? JUst bought a 96 xp, turns out front cylinders water jacket is cracked....I can either repair it and cross my fingers and hope the cast aluminum brazing holds up, or rebuild top end, and go bigger/better of course....Just trying to get some input, what do people think about boring the cylinders, modifying the stock heads, rejetting carbs, maybe a full exhaust including waterbox, different impeller?...Anyone got set-ups similar? My plan is to get the motor out soon, take a look at wear and tear on top end to determine if i got to dig into the lower end.....then from there not to sure what to do....stock cylinder? std size pistons?.....etc....JUst trying to get a plan/blueprint to follow...new to the sea-doos....Any feedback would be great! Thanks alot guys.....
    Miller heads are good, just decide if you want to run 93 octane or race gas. Boring the cylindres is good just make sure to keep them in spec. There are 920 to 970 CC kits, but the aren't exactly new or easy to find. If you are redoing the top end and the exhaust do go with plus size carbs 44 or 46 mms and the best to get is Novi(expect sticker shock), but Mikuni based after market carbs are good too. Good money to spend is a Factory Pipe, Spec II its the best pipe for the 787 engine. The stock water boxes on the XPs are really good so I wouldn't bother.

For exact spec on cyl bore and piston size check with Dan(Water Worx) here, or Bill O'rielly at PWCtoday.com. No disrepect to Jerry but Bill is the man on the web when it comes to two strokes. Also the Service Manual for the 96 XP is available for download over at PWCtoday in the Sea Doo forum

sounds good...thanks 4 the help. Im going to get the motor out...start digging...and researching where i can find kits/products....you know what kind of speeds i would be looking at with a set-up like that?

definetly dont wanna run race fuel

With no race fuel probably low 60s which isn't a bad gain from mid 50's

My 96 XP is bone stock and pulls harder than my 07 GTXL(Also stock).

Before I forget clean the carbs, replace the valves and seats and clean the fuel selector valve. And replace the grey tempo lines. Those lines have caused many a motor to seaize doe to being over lean.

electronic wise...how bad is the 950 conversion into an 96 xp hull?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoyToise View Post
    electronic wise...how bad is the 950 conversion into an 96 xp hull?
    Its the best way to make big power in there. Its not to bad I here but you need the complete 951 motor w/electronics.

+1
    It's Bill Oneal not O rielly, Sorry

Spec II is a killer pipe, there is lots to do to a 785 motor but you really need to know how to build and tune or it can get very expensive.

IMHO when you go with a spec II reliability goes out the window as you have to run the RPM's up to get it to make power.
    A head, flame arrestors, and a prop will get you running better and still be reliable. From memory you can punch out a 785 to 840cc before you have to go to a VE cylinder but there again how far are you willing to go?

+1
    that ski was not built for speed it was built for fun, just so you know, very nimble, will turn and spin and jump awesome, but it is very light and short, and high speeds are not its forte.
    it can be built for good speed and MONSTER holeshot and handling.
    if you are an absolute speed freak, get a RXP or RXT.
    a highly modified 96xp still wont keep up with a stock RXP on top end.
    but you can have the xp jump straight out of th water and carve turns like a ninja.
    the fun factor is way better on a xp, the muscle and speed is there on a rxp, but not much fun to play on. depends on what you want to do.

+1
    if you want a 951 motor in that 96xp, contact Tweeker or Goose on the boards, do a member search and type in their names. Then send them a pm. They are building 951 x4's left and right in North Carolina.
    SHOOTER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information