Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Roadside Assistance

Roadside Assistance, who do you have and have you used it?

I`ve had triple A since 1998, and recently didn`t renew. We have AIG as our auto insurance and they have their own version of Roadside assistance. But I`m skeptical , should I sign back up with AAA since they keep sending me reminders and offers to come back?...PR...

+1
    I have insurance through Farmers here in Northern IL and I have their roadside assistance with them and they offer just about everything AAA has..I was with AAA a few years ago and couldnt see paying twice for the same thing...Got rid of AAA....OH and yes i have used their RSA twice for me once and the wife another...Had to have the veichles towed and all i had to do was sign...No money needed...No rate increases..

+1
    You mean you won't come get me if I'm broken down out in BFE??

I used to have AAA but have let it expire a few years ago. I found out the hard way that they WILL NOT send a tow truck onto the GSP, ACE, or NJTP..... They have to contact the state police and they try to get someone who is authorized to run the toll roads to come get you.

Personally, I've found the service for breakdowns VERY slow when I needed it most.
    I do like the other perks though..(Passport pics, cheap discounts here and there when traveling.)

We used to use it all the time when wheeling though...break down on the trail out in the pines and have a friend tow your busted rig to the road and then call AAA to tow it home..
    If I remember right the Plus service gives you a MUCH better tow range. I think the standard service was "to the nearest service station"??
    It's been awhile since I have read their literature.

+1
    Oh, forgot to mention. We have roadside through State Farm and they reimbersed me for a tow off the beach in LBI in my grandpa's car many years ago. But it's a "reimbersement" type thing...

I have it on my insurance but I have never used it.

I just found the insurance roadside card:
    AIG Security Advantage:
    24-Hour Roadside assistance
    Identity Theft restoration Service
    Emergency travel & Medical Assistance

I guess this is kinda basic AAA stuff without the advantage of getting the AAA vacation services and deals at there stores...
    Still undecided if I want to rejoin AAA ...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I guess this is kinda basic AAA stuff without the advantage of getting the AAA vacation services and deals at there stores...
    Still undecided if I want to rejoin AAA ...PR...
    AAA is NOT valid on the NYS Thruway. That is a deal breaker for me. Check with them about exclsions in your area.

IMO, AAA vacation service & driving directions SUCK.

+1
    If you do any amount of traveling, it's worth it for the discounts. A lot of hotels and other places will give you a AAA discount even though they don't display the AAA logo. I always ask at all hotels and 90% of the time, the'll give you a AAA rate. I agree that most people have double coverage with AAA and their auto insurance. And sometime triple coverage because most new cars have roadside assistance during their warranty period. It's worth it to me because you get 30% off at Lenccrafters on glasses

I let mine lapse years ago and I still get crap in the mail saying they will reinstate me for yada yada yada.

The couple of times I did need a tow the wait was 2+ hours, for vacation directions I just use mapquest or gps, or whatever. I also found the discount at hotels a joke. Yeah you get a discount, but 5 or 10 bucks aint worth it IMHO. The regular member price is decent but you get something like 5 miles towed for "free" the more expensive membership increases that mileage a lot, but the increased rate isn't worth it.

I believe my membership was around 200/year for the wife and I. I never used any of their services in their offices, and the last time I actually needed a tow was 8 years ago, so I've saved roughly $1,600.00

My opinion is that AAA is only needed if you have a crappy car and will be spending money on multiple tows....and have time to wait for that tow.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_ View Post
    I let mine lapse years ago and I still get crap in the mail saying they will reinstate me for yada yada yada.

The couple of times I did need a tow the wait was 2+ hours, for vacation directions I just use mapquest or gps, or whatever. I also found the discount at hotels a joke. Yeah you get a discount, but 5 or 10 bucks aint worth it IMHO. The regular member price is decent but you get something like 5 miles towed for "free" the more expensive membership increases that mileage a lot, but the increased rate isn't worth it.

I believe my membership was around 200/year for the wife and I. I never used any of their services in their offices, and the last time I actually needed a tow was 8 years ago, so I've saved roughly $1,600.00

My opinion is that AAA is only needed if you have a crappy car and will be spending money on multiple tows....and have time to wait for that tow.
    same here spent roughly 1600 and never used them, never. I know never say never. I don`t drive junk and when I did have an older car it was refurbished better than when it was new. my fault for spending so much money on cars, very poor investment on daily drivers.

off topic example. those wheels and tires I had in the classifieds for a crown vic or merc, I just recently solf for 3 hundred dollars, like new Pirelli`s and NEW wheels, so what did I get back for an out of pocket cost of nearly 1200 bucks... I gotta stop spending on the cars, it`s a freakin disease ...

I`ve heard to many horror stories of people being broken down in the bad section of town nervously waiting a tow..., not me i`ll drive that sucker on the rims...PR...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information