Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

EMM Needed for 99 Genesis

Merry Christmas everyone... I was wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone with an EMM out of a 99 Genesis FFI? Or does anyone know where I can get mine service/rebuilt.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRatt View Post
    Merry Christmas everyone... I was wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone with an EMM out of a 99 Genesis FFI? Or does anyone know where I can get mine service/rebuilt.
    How do you know the EMM is bad?
    In some cases, a bad EMM diagnostic can actually be caused by loose/bad electrical crimp connections in the connectors to the injectors.

Be aware that the EMM is matched to the individual injectors.
    Either you need to buy the set of injectors that were running with the replacement EMM, or your injector mapping data needs to be transferred from the old EMM to the new.

If the old EMM's injector mapping data cannot be recovered, then the new EMM and your injectors need to be sent in to have them mapped together.
    Last edited by K447; 12-25-2007 at 09:51 PM.

I'm not 100% it is the EMM... here is the short of it.. had motor completely rebuilt.... put motor in.. during second tank of gas the motor started to run like it was missing.. it was very had to crank.. then shut off... motor turns over but won't start.. if i put starter fluid or gas into the intake it will fire up for a bit and burn off the fuel.. it is as if the injectors won't start..... fuel pressure is good..

One odd thing is when i test the EMM with the wrench all the static tests pass. i can fire each injector.. each spark plug.. the fuel pump..

I am completely open to anyother ideas..

Thanks for the info on the injectors and the EMM matching.

+1
    Have you verified that you have the correct fuel pressure to the injectors?
    No possibility of water in the gas, or any other fuel problems?

Do you have access to another EMM you could put in to see what happens?

Even if the injector mapping is wrong, it should at least start and run with a different EEM, if that is the problem.

One difference between the static Wrench tests and regular operation is the vibration of the engine. If an electrical connection has become loose, it might test OK statically, but come and go when the engine is trying to run. This applies to the TPS connections, the TPS internally, and the injector connectors.

Are you familiar with the symtoms of TPS failure?

There are others around here who are more knowledgeable with Polaris Fitch fuel injection diagnostics than I am, but being Christmas they may not be checking in very often.
    How urgent is this issue?

+1
    It sounds as if you have something that went bad when the engine was reinstalled/bad connection/clogged fuel line or injector/water in fuel.You are definetly missing fuel in the cylinder,you have spark /timing/crank sensor OK.Verify injector pulse(electrical signal)at injector /pressure at injectors.

I unfortunately don't have an EMM to test it with... i am still looking for one though.

I do know a little about TPS failure. I replaced it a few seasons ago. I have also observed that with the TPS unplugged the ski will fire up and run just fine. It just won't throttle up.

I don't think there is a chance of water in the tank though i may go ahead and drain it.. empty the lines and re-prime just to be sure.

I have tested the fuel pressure going into the injectors and coming out but not at each one.. i just assumed that if the pressure is normal going in and out than it would be at each.. but i could be wrong.

I do have spark at all the cylinders and all the injectors’ fire using the wrench.....

Now that I think of it the ski started running bad towards the end of it's first tank... and didn't run much longer after that before it cut out..... here is kind of a stupid question.. does the water sit on the top of the fuel, if there isn't alot.....

I will have to do the fuel thing this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRatt View Post
    ...I have also observed that with the TPS unplugged the ski will fire up and run just fine. It just won't throttle up.

I don't think there is a chance of water in the tank though i may go ahead and drain it.. empty the lines and re-prime just to be sure.

...Now that I think of it the ski started running bad towards the end of it's first tank... and didn't run much longer after that before it cut out..... here is kind of a stupid question.. does the water sit on the top of the fuel, if there isn't alot.....

I will have to do the fuel thing this weekend.

Thanks for your help.
    Gas floats on water, the water sits at the bottom of the tank, if there is any water in the tank.

Do you mean to say that your Genesis, right now, will run if the TPS is unplugged?
    But if the TPS is plugged in, then it will not even start?

We need to be clear on exactly what the symptoms are.

Do you still have the old, bad TPS that was replaced?
    Putting that one in might tell us something...

+1
    If it doesn't start with the TPS connected but starts with it dosconnected, I'd replace the TPS sensor and buy a spare for later testing.
    Did you perform the wriggle test?

Hey Craft.. how is it going..

Sorry about the TPS confusion. The TPS work was a year or so back. It is still connected and functions fine. I have verified voltage to it and through it using the wrench. I was just saying a year or so back when it was broken I could unplug it and still start the ski. However, it is something that can be replaced if you think it needs to be. I do have an "extra" used one.

+1
    Yo man!!

If you disconnect the TPS now, will the boat start?
    What is the current fuel pressure at the rail?
    What is the pressure when you crank the engine?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information