Winterizing FX140

So I've been searching around, and haven't been able to find any information specifically pertaining to winterizing 4-stroke Yamaha's. The main question I have (I think) is that I don't know what hose to close off to keep the anti-freeze from running out the bottom of the ski. But, that being said, I'm completely new to caring for jet-ski's, and I'd really appreciate it if someone who's winterized their FX140 (or FXHO) could give me some advice about getting this beast taken care of so it doesn't freeze.

+1
    I dont use anti freeze in my FXHO, it does'nt often drop below freezing here, but I've posted a pic of the hose to block off.
    As well as following the manual for winterizing, I whip the plugs out and apply aluminium compatable antisieze and refit, also good practice to pressure lube all cables. Evan though your running anti freeze through the system it's best to try & get rid of all water from the block, start & rev for 15 secs (blip the throttle but do not exceed 6000rpm) once a day, over 2-3 days then fog
    Last edited by volltrex; 12-27-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Thanks for the Info! That picture is exactly what I was looking for
    It doesn't get below freezing much in Connecticut? Or do you keep yours in a garage? Also, I was thinking about not fogging it or doing a whole lot else to it, because it almost never gets below 20F here, and it rarely gets below freezing for long periods of time, and I'll probably un-winterize it at the beginning of April, because it's usually done freezing by then. Will I be doing it any damage by not fogging it and leaving it for 3 months?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SandCountry View Post
    It doesn't get below freezing much in Connecticut?
    I'm a bit further away then that, CI stands for Channel Islands, just off the coast of France in the English Channel!! Just gets wet & windy in winter with the odd cold snap but rarely drops below freezing during the day. Ski is also kept in garage.
    There's two schools of thougt on this one, fog it & leave it or start it every couple of weeks, the trouble with the second option is you dont want to run it on the hose if you have put antifreeze through the system as you would have to re antifreeze & clear water from engine again.
    My ski is laid up for 4-5 months over winter, after cleaning & lubing cables etc I'll fog (3 sec's of oil into each intake, replace air box cover) then start & idle for 15 sec's, remove battery & put on charge. Over the winter I'll start it 2 or 3 times; re connect battery, run for 15 sec's just blipping throttle, leave for an hour then re fog & idle for 15 sec's, remove battery.
    In spring change oil & filter, fit new plugs (using antisieze) & your good to go.
    One of the main reasons for fogging a 4 stroke is to protect the valve stems, it's also worth using an FC-W rated marine engine oil as they contain anti corrosion agents which also help with this.

Thread Information