Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

can the water be too cold for riding

Has anyone here had any experiance with cold water riding with a two stroke gpr...can the water be so cold as to not allow a proper warm-up thus chancing a seizure...I noticed that my pissers are hotter in the summer and luke warm in the winter ( lake temp around 50 deg) I always let my motor warm up ,but do not relish a cold siezure from engine cooling down during a run...thanks in advance.

+1
    Yes,cold water 'can' induce a seizure if not properly warmed up.Especially if your running Wiseco pistons.Your good with 50 degree water though.Here is a good rule that i follow myself.....No matter what the temp is,warm the motor up the same,all the time.This way you get a routine down.My ski's get a 5 minute warmup before the throttle gets pulled hard.

It's been known to happen, give her a very good warm up.

+1
    I know first hand trying to break in a motor is hard as hell with cool water temps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    Has anyone here had any experiance with cold water riding with a two stroke gpr...can the water be so cold as to not allow a proper warm-up thus chancing a seizure...I noticed that my pissers are hotter in the summer and luke warm in the winter ( lake temp around 50 deg) I always let my motor warm up ,but do not relish a cold siezure from engine cooling down during a run...thanks in advance.
    when i lived in ohio i rode in 38degree water with 35 air temp i just let it warm up good but, the ski really did not like it like it was draging the motor down.

Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    when i lived in ohio i rode in 38degree water with 35 air temp i just let it warm up good but, the ski really did not like it like it was draging the motor down.
    This prompts me to ask, should special engine oil be used in such cold temps? What about plugs? Is new engine break in handled differently?

Finally, I know many want to get more cool air into the engine, with RAMS & oversized I/Coolers etc, so how come these skis dont haul acres stock in just 50 or 60 degree temps? It sounds like perf is actually down in N8r's extreme cold weather case. I'm not sure I notice much diff in performance regardless of temps in 40 to 80 range. I seldom ride in temps over 80. I'm guessing thats where you start to lose perf on other end. Thanks.

So 50 degree weather and 40 degree water, and im good to go with a decent warmup?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    This prompts me to ask, should special engine oil be used in such cold temps? What about plugs? Is new engine break in handled differently?

Finally, I know many want to get more cool air into the engine, with RAMS & oversized I/Coolers etc, so how come these skis dont haul acres stock in just 50 or 60 degree temps? It sounds like perf is actually down in N8r's extreme cold weather case. I'm not sure I notice much diff in performance regardless of temps in 40 to 80 range. I seldom ride in temps over 80. I'm guessing thats where you start to lose perf on other end. Thanks.
    you would be right. we get temps [email protected] in summer with crazy humidity now it is in the 80s and gained speed. i think cold really affects also especially on the 2 strokes

Canadian POWERHOUSE CanadianGPR's Avatar
    +1
    We're still riding up here in the Great White North, the air temps are around 32-40 degree's lately. Just warm it up real good before doing any wot runs, and you should be good. I run the same oil and plugs all year round. But it runs way better in the cold air

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post

Warm water flows better than cold water

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information