Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Well I finally got to test it out!

Finally got to test my ski out today that I have been slowly building since I got it last may. With the mods in my signature, I ran 59.0MPH on GPS. My advent isnte here yet its still comming in the mail, but per the stock tach it looked like i was only doing 6200-6600 rpm... Do you guys think that 14/20 pitched to 11/18 is too much for my ski? Also I think im running too rich on the carbs. They are somewhere around 1 3/4-2 turns out on the highs, and right at 1 turn on the lows... The lows seem ok, but the highs or too rich i think. It bogs every now and then in the upper rpms... I think part of it may be the accel. pump that im about to remove... But when I pulled the plugs they didnt look overly rich, but the throttle seems to feel and sound rich... Im running 32:1 ratio also with 93 octane. I noticed if I pulled the choke out slightly say 1/16th or 1/8 inch the ski ran damned near perfect. So im guessing that means its running rich correct? Tell me what you guys think I need to do to get her dialed in perfect!

Overall I am very pleased with the way it ran though, it just needs a little tweaking! I think once I get it dialed in it should be close to 65 mph... And especially after I get rid of that stock plate!

Kurt

+1
    If you pull the choke and it runs good you are lean... . It sounds like it is lean.. How much time on the pistons? What does the wash look like?

+1

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kurt1200 View Post
    Finally got to test my ski out today that I have been slowly building since I got it last may. With the mods in my signature, I ran 59.0MPH on GPS. My advent isnte here yet its still comming in the mail, but per the stock tach it looked like i was only doing 6200-6600 rpm... Do you guys think that 14/20 pitched to 11/18 is too much for my ski? Also I think im running too rich on the carbs. They are somewhere around 1 3/4-2 turns out on the highs, and right at 1 turn on the lows... The lows seem ok, but the highs or too rich i think. It bogs every now and then in the upper rpms... I think part of it may be the accel. pump that im about to remove... But when I pulled the plugs they didnt look overly rich, but the throttle seems to feel and sound rich... Im running 32:1 ratio also with 93 octane. I noticed if I pulled the choke out slightly say 1/16th or 1/8 inch the ski ran damned near perfect. So im guessing that means its running rich correct? Tell me what you guys think I need to do to get her dialed in perfect!

Overall I am very pleased with the way it ran though, it just needs a little tweaking! I think once I get it dialed in it should be close to 65 mph... And especially after I get rid of that stock plate!

Kurt
    ya might what to take peek at the plugs sounds rich to me

later cd

Havent looked at the wash... So is the lean condition causing the low rpms?? I ran it about an hour or an hour in a half... Could that have been bad on the top end?? I let it idle forever, and then i took it slow the first 30 mins or so. Stopping after the first 15 too cool down. This was the engines first run... What do you think??

Well whatever it may be, it cant be excessively out if it ran 59 right?? I mean overall it was pretty smooth, but just a bog every now and then, but sometimes if i feathered the throttle it would smooth out...

+1
    Kurt,get a better tach asap! Get rid of that acc pump.This is a new motor right? Take it easy,let it loosen up some.YOU MUST GET A NEW TACH!!!!!!!! Are you running FA's without the filters?

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Kurt,get a better tach asap! Get rid of that acc pump.This is a new motor right? Take it easy,let it loosen up some.YOU MUST GET A NEW TACH!!!!!!!! Are you running FA's without the filters?

I have a pet-2100 on the way from the online store... The acc pump will be removed before the next run! Yes the motor is new, i bought everything new, had the cylinders re nikilsiled, all riva engine compoents, the works... Its all brand spanking new! Yes im just running flame arrestors... BTW that prop has some awesome acceleration! Thanks! It seems to work nicely with my ski!

I hope I didint hurt anything on my new motor ! You got me all worried now! Well what should I do next besides remove the acc. pump, wait on the tach to get here AND install it, and adjust the carbs...

+1
    You should be fine. Install the tach remove the acc pump cam. Open the highs 1/2 and get it blubbering like a school girl and go from there.

Tuning Tips for Girls
    THANKS RANDY!!!

Start with the screws set at 1 turn out, and tune with the tachometer for peak Rpm, then stop there and count the number of turns on the high speed screws. Write this down on a piece of paper.. Then turn the high speed screws in all the way and open them to 1/4 turn open. (Now you will be testing starts only, so no more big high rpm trips around the course). You are only turning in the high speeds to allow you to easily tune the low speeds.

Now check the low speed screws and set them at 1 turn and do a practice start; To test the low speed setting pretend that you just jumped the start and you have to start with no holder. Hold the ski by yourself and hold as many Rpm as you can (don't blow it out first for testing) and then nail the throttle hard.... NO FARTHER THAN 50 FEET, as you are only testing the start response

If it blubbers like a schoolgirl trying to guzzle a quart of beer, then it's too rich on the low speed screws..
    If it falls flat on the line (like someone punched you in the stomach).. It's too lean on the low speed screws.

When you like the acceleration off the line, stop there and count the number of turns on the low speed screws. Write this down on a piece of paper.. Then re-set your high speed screw where they show the best peak Rpm earlier and try both a start and a peak Rpm run...
    It will probably "blubber" a little off the line... DO NOT turn in the low speed screws... Instead, go back out on the course and fine tune for peak Rpm again.. The blubbering off the line is caused by having too much fuel in the high speed circuit... Write down your new high speed setting on the piece of paper along with the best low speed setting that you found earlier, this will be your base-line carburetor settings.
    If the high or low speed screws are open more than 11/4 turns, then you need to swap to the next bigger jet.
    If the high or low speed screws are closed all the way, then you need to change to the next size smaller jet.

+1
    I would not run the ski anymore till the tach arrives IMO.When the tach gets there,run your highs up 2 turns.Warm the ski up normaly.I also would not make WOT passes till you run your tank of break-in oil through it.Meaning,no long passes at full throttle.Others say to run it for an hour or so,then go out and run the heck out of it.Well, ....i disagree 100% and like to take it easy for at least 1 full tank.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information