Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Today's test results...

Now that this forum is about performance once again, I thought I would share my latest test results. Skip and NitroShark have done a great job keeping this forum on a performance track (nice to read about actual performance mods).

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks I pulled the exhaust off so I could take a look see at the breather pipe. Just like everyone else, mine was clogged with silicone. One thing that really caught my attention was the semi-circular burn marks on the exhaust manifold (ports #1 and #4). That, and the casting nub on the #3 port. So I spent some time port matching the manifold to the gasket and knocking off the casting nub. After the port matching was done, I blended and smoothed all of the exhaust passages.

Also, after seeing the breather tube (big disappointment - Kawi got the design of this wrong), I decided to install the R&D kit. Getting 10% off from Jerry didn't hurt my decision either. Before this kit came out, I was thinking it would just be an extra (or better) catch can. But R&D really did their homework on the kit because this puppy can't breathe from the factory.

I went from a best of 7780 rpms before these mods to between 8050 - 8070 today. The topend speed went up a little, from 69.8 to 70.8 as well. Guess I can't complain about a 1mph increase. The RAD today wasn't very good, especially with the wonderful Florida humidity above 95%.

But the real difference is how quickly it now jumps up to 8000+ rpms. The response is unreal. It went from being a sluggish ski to one that about yanked me off today. I was hoping to get some gains from the port matching, but I am surprised at how responsive the ski behaves now.

If you are installing the R&D kit, take the time to at least port match the exhaust manifold to the gasket. Take a look at the manifold for any burn marks, then use the gasket as a guide to match the cylinder ports to the manifold. The pictures below shows where I started working on the manifold - and I had to include one picture of the breather for those who have not yet seen it.

The ski is all stock except for R-Rated valve cover block offs, exhaust (secondary water box delete), BOV block off and R&D breather kit and under glove box filter. The only change to the pump has been an LX 2* wedge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exh1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	49790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exh2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	49791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exh3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	49792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exh4.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	49793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exh5.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	49794  

Man am I glad to have you back.

Awesome write up. I think I'm going to let this run a bit. If it gets high jacked Ill delete them and keep this one protected.

Good work and awesome post.

+1

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    i'd be interested in doing a side by side comparison of my bone stocker against this boat in two weeks.... i will down in daytona for a long weeked from the 10th to the 14th

which reminds me... i will be posting my RO from the destruction that ensued from a bent rod tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    Man am I glad to have you back.

Awesome write up. I think I'm going to let this run a bit. If it gets high jacked Ill delete them and keep this one protected.

Good work and awesome post.
    Thanks Skip - you becoming a moderator here has been just what was needed - plus the fact that you know a "little" something about the Ultras

Since GIO has been a problem, I changed the oil this morning before I went out. When I checked it this evening, it was on the same mark. The oil has that nice new oil smell - no hint of gas.

Also, there was no fluid in the stock air intake drain tube (dry as a bone). This was after running a tank of gas at WOT almost the entire time.

I decided to take the exhaust off before I ordered the R&D kit. I had to see for myself what all this breather talk was about. I ended up ordering the kit and some 1211 from Jerry. I figured the ski would be down for a couple of weeks. So wrong - the 1211 showed up within 2 days, and the R&D kit a day or two later. You just can't beat the service from Jerry.

+1
    Gator man,
    Thanks for the writeup. I'm glad to see another member have the same results from the R&D kit. I have almost the same setup (except for my R-Rated intake) as you and I also felt a quicker accelerating ski. I was hoping others would get the same result. I'm also getting the same rpm range... about 8050. I see from your pic that it looks like you got rid of the funky ass hose clamps that come with the kit. I did. (Hey R&D, You listening?) How bad was your vent tube blocked? Mine was totaly clogged with silicone. Whoever the vent tube installer guy at the Kawi factory is needs to find a new job. You suck!
    Jimmy
    Last edited by Beagleman62; 12-28-2007 at 02:09 AM.

Yeah, Kawi needs to at least teach their people how to apply silicone. Mine was over half blocked. With just a few changes, Kawi could make the Ultra into a really good ski. Maybe they will listen for 2008. But other than some minor problems, the Ultra has been great.

As for the clamps that R&D supplies, they are really the best ones to use. I've just been too lazy to buy the crimping tool. Once they are crimped on, they never come lose - but they are single use only as you have to cut them off. I know Riva sells the crimping tool. I used good quality SS clamps instead so I'm not too worried. I will say I hope these never come loose as getting to them is a real pain.

The weather here has taken a nice turn - the temps should be almost 80 today so I'll be back out doing some more testing.

+1
    http://www.mcmaster.com/

Note the side jaw pincher will do both side and top.

Name:	www_mcmaster_com_pdf_113.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	49851  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I build Horsepower
    +1
    welcome back!

Oil Change

Now that I have run through a few tanks of gas, I pulled some oil out today so I could compare it to what I pulled out before the modifications. Both oil changes were done after burning three full tanks of fuel. The filter was also changed both times.

The difference is color is almost unreal - the oil before the mods was pitch black with some gas smell to it. This time - no smell of gas, and the oil still looks nice and brown.

BTW, I got a second opinion on the mods done so far. The wife now loves her ski - the best comment I got was "ya done good". Her Ultra is getting much closer to what we wanted when we first bought it. To her, it felt like she was riding a different ski - especially the way the rpms come up so much faster now.

More testing to come...

Name:	oil1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	50196  

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information