Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Research Info needed, please help

Hello All,

I'm writing an educational review on the newer four stroke watercraft, specific to 2 functional (related) items:

1. Anti-theft-digital coded lanyards/MPEM/ignition keys
    2. Off Throttle Steering Capability and Function

If you have any links or tips that would help us in the water rescue field come up to speed on the different models and changes I would be greatly in debted to your kindness.

Please send any information direct to my email account:
    [email protected]

Thanks in advance!
    Shawn Alladio

www.K38rescue.com

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn alladio View Post
    Hello All,

I'm writing an educational review on the newer four stroke watercraft, specific to 2 functional (related) items:

If you have any links or tips that would help us in the water rescue field come up to speed on the different models and changes I would be greatly in debted to your kindness.

[email protected]

Thanks in advance!
    Shawn Alladio

www.K38rescue.com
    Wow you are in the wrong place to find positive info on OPAS, Shawn.
    Its not very well liked among us speed freaks

+1
    Hi Shawn, If you require a special design/logo so that riders can identify you on the water for safety, I would be willing to do it and you could have the file to print at will, no charge .)

Thank you.
    Peter
    jetskidetailing.com

Quote Originally Posted by shawn alladio View Post
    Hello All,

[email protected]

Thanks in advance!
    Shawn Alladio

www.K38rescue.com
    Not sure what detail you want but Seadoos do have digital coded lanyards that are programed by a dealer for a particular ski. These are matched to each ski and are set for a ski with the dealers computer BUDS system. One key will not work on another ski only on the ski it was programmed for.

As far as off power steering seadoo has the OPAS, off power steering assist system. It consists of steerable veins on the side of the ski at the rear that are in the water at slower to idle speeds. It works well. Couple the OPAS with the reverse lever and you can mannuver well, turning easily or moving sideways. You can rotate on a dime.

Another consideration is sucking up debris in a rescue situation. Not sure if you saw this thread: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ghlight=rescue
    but it talks about this situation and has a pretty good solution with a welded grate to assist in keeping debris out of the pump.

Hope this helps a little!!

If i can add...

Each dess key is an absolute & unique coded key, when the key is activated, the dealers communicate with the module, and tell to the module that now on this present key is to be added as 'accepted' by the module, each module can have many keys to be programmed as accepted, so if you got let say 5-10 rescue vehicles in your float, you can have all keys to be accepted on all of your vehicles, so each key will be able to start each vehicles, as long as each key was 'enabled' in each vehicles module. That could be quite practical for a commercial application, where you do not want to have the wrong key in case of emergency needs.

As for the opas...racing world don't seem to like them for sure, but in real life they help a lot during off-throttle steering operation, and they slow the craft a bit more quickly in case of a sudden off throttle turning. The opas were made for helping low speed gouverning of the ski, and for that, they are doing very well. The way the opas works, is some of them are hydraulically lifted out of the water (lifted higher as the water pressure increase inside the turbine), and some are not even lifteable, these are fixed at a certain height. Some peoples did encounter blocking of the hydraulic ones by debris entering the opas system...i think now most if not all models are fixed (no hydraulics).

Hope this helps you out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SideFX View Post
    Hi Shawn, If you require a special design/logo so that riders can identify you on the water for safety, I would be willing to do it and you could have the file to print at will, no charge .)

Thank you.
    Peter
    jetskidetailing.com
    REally?
    Is that your business?
    That's way cool!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    Wow you are in the wrong place to find positive info on OPAS, Shawn.
    Its not very well liked among us speed freaks
    yeah not liked by us pokey stock rescuers either...LOL

+1
    thanks so much everyone, I haven't been tracking this..LOL
    Thanks Larry.

great stuff...good descriptions...will be great in the presentation as is...

+1
    I think OPAS could actually present problems in rescue situations - especially flood rescues involving shallow water and floating debris. In 2002, I had an OPAS paddle broken off by an under water tree limb. It was very difficult to control the ski because it pulled badly to one side. I literally had to turn the handle bars fully to the left just to ride straight. That would render a rescue ski incapacitated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    I think OPAS could actually present problems in rescue situations - especially flood rescues involving shallow water and floating debris. In 2002, I had an OPAS paddle broken off by an under water tree limb. It was very difficult to control the ski because it pulled badly to one side. I literally had to turn the handle bars fully to the left just to ride straight. That would render a rescue ski incapacitated.

YUP!

The off throttle steering stuff is not to my liking at all..Working world finals was a nightmare trying to come in for a rescue..its so difficult now with these systems..when you want to slow down, the boat engages and ramps up....its a nightmare...creating more problems for us.

Too bad the public couldn't just get it in thier mind to take a class and learn how to operate a jet pump driven craft! Trying to solve idiots proplems makes more problems in the long run...

Ask for one thing have to be willing to give something else up...and the PWC's are not made for rescue but for recreational riders! LOL
    Shawn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information