Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    +1

Question about crank

well couple questions...

1) should I get my crank trued and welded

2) Do I need to get it balanced, lightened... and what does that mean..

3) it says if I get my crank balanced, I have to get a required piston kit... is that like new pistons and all that, or what does that mean?

also when getting your crank trued and welded, and all what not.... does it just make your engine more reliable.. cause as far as I know, you don't get really any gains...

thank you!

-Kale

+1
    If you are pushing the limits of the crank then it would be a good idea otherwise it mgiht snap. If your near stock then I would wait.

Caution raider fan in the area !!
    +1

+1
    I have got my huge list of things that I will be doing from now till summer, and into part of summer probably

so should I wait, and have this be one of the last things.. I was just thinking that if I have my engine all apart, why not get that done, so later on I don't have to take it apart again...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    I have got my huge list of things that I will be doing from now till summer, and into part of summer probably

so should I wait, and have this be one of the last things.. I was just thinking that if I have my engine all apart, why not get that done, so later on I don't have to take it apart again...

1st..not last.
    If you have it out and there are 100+ hours at least have it looked @ by a Pro

+1
    im past 100....

when I send it, should I just go ahead and get it balanced and trued/welded.. and anything else I need to have done to it?

also what is the piston kit? sorry....

+1
    I would search on the true/weld (google it also) there are many many opinions on this. I just sent my crank out to have it inspected and it was $420 with truing and weld. This including a couple new bearings (front).

A piston kit usually contains Piston,Rings,Circlips,Bearings. If you take your motor apart you dont have to get new pistons etc...You do have to inspect them and check clearences.

I think for lightened you may mean the Flywheel ? This would allow it to rev up faster.

You dont just do a piston kit/top end unless you need it. @ your hours it depends on a gazillion things.

Decide why you are taking it apart if it is to do a big bore etc.......Then eveything changes.

Crank,Cylinders,Head,Carbs etc.....................

I am pretty sure you dont know what you want or you do and cant afford it yet. If it is only to learn I think thats a great to take it apart (you will need some $$$ for gaskets and stuff).

I know I have mentioned it to you before. Keep it simple when jumping in. Head/Rejet carbs/Fa's will make that old ski of yours seem like a different beast. You could then just use your allowance instead of Mom and Dads credit card.

It can be pretty miserable chasing problem after problem when doing a bunch of stuff @ once for the first time (I have done it !). I am learning just like you and I have to do every single thing twice because I make a mistake after mistake.

Just think you could do a shiny new 1400 top end with all the goodies for about 5K and forget to attach a pisser hose on the exhaust or not get the coupler on the stinger just right and injestion enough water to have to do it all over again. I cant believe my 1200 had endured all the stupid installation mistakes I have made over the last 12 months (head gasket backwards (twice !), coupler wrong , forgot exhaust bolt, jet works plumbing wrong, gas valve blade not screwed in correctly, pulled exhaust nipple from manifold and more).

+1
    Balancing if pricey! No need to balance on a single pipe that spins 7200 rpm.A triple spinning 8K...thats another story.When they balance a crank,they need your piston weight also.Take the least weight piston "KIT" and use that.The other 2 piston "KITS" have to be weighed and trimmed if neccessary on the bosses to match so they all weigh the same.

+1
    im planning on having my motor out

I think since it will be out.. ill get it trued and welded..

and I'm not going to get a lightened flywheel...

as far as a piston kit, do and of you know what type of kit I should get for my OEM cylinders? I am going to get new pistons/rings...

+1
    and thanks for all the info guys!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information