+1

'99 XP limited questions

I have a chance to pick up a "99 XP limited, owner states "non running, needs new engine" He started at 2100.00, but I can probably pick it up for 1000.00-1500.00.

What can you guys tell me about this particular model? Is it 2 or 4 stroke? What are my options/cost for repowering? Rebuild (depending on problem) or replace? I'm a auto tech and rebuilt my Polaris, is rebuild difficult ie. special tools needed?

any info appreciated

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I have a chance to pick up a "99 XP limited, owner states "non running, needs new engine" He started at 2100.00, but I can probably pick it up for 1000.00-1500.00.

What can you guys tell me about this particular model? Is it 2 or 4 stroke? What are my options/cost for repowering? Rebuild (depending on problem) or replace? I'm a auto tech and rebuilt my Polaris, is rebuild difficult ie. special tools needed?

any info appreciated
    Its a two stroke 951 Rotax engine. Rebuilding shouldn't be particularly hard compared to a Polaris. One thing that should be checked is if the MPEM is bad. its expensive and somewhat hard to find.

+1
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked to see if it's locked up. thrown a rod, injested water, etc.

Doesn't the 951 have a bit of a bad rep. Seems like I've heard some negative comments about it.

I assume the MPEM is the electronic control unit? When you say expensive do you mean 200.00 expensive or 1000.00 expensive?

How do they handle? What about top speed and acceleration? Are they stable boats? Is it a "dry" ride or more on the wet and wild side?

What are these things worth is running condition? I've only seen pictures on CL but this particular ski seems to be in good cosmetic condition and is a fresh water only ski.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply. I haven't checked to see if it's locked up. thrown a rod, injested water, etc.

Doesn't the 951 have a bit of a bad rep. Seems like I've heard some negative comments about it.

I assume the MPEM is the electronic control unit? When you say expensive do you mean 200.00 expensive or 1000.00 expensive?

How do they handle? What about top speed and acceleration? Are they stable boats? Is it a "dry" ride or more on the wet and wild side?

What are these things worth is running condition? I've only seen pictures on CL but this particular ski seems to be in good cosmetic condition and is a fresh water only ski.
    951's bad rep comes from SD traditionalists who where used to rotary valves that didn't blow out when hydrolocked, which the reeds in the 951 have been knwo to do. Basically keep it oiled, keep it reasonably dry it'll be ok. If you have more questions check the two stroke forum for the Doos, and as Dan(water worx) or hit the PWCtoday.com forurms and hit up Bill O(generally a thread over there works)

+1
    Thanks!

+1

What are these things worth is running condition?
    Check these folks out. I had great luck with them and was impressed by how professional and fast they were. This was an actual quote from them on the phone, "We're sorry, sir, your engine is on backorder. It won't be at your house until this Friday." I ordered it Monday, it was on backorder, and it got there Friday. They said normal delivery is 2-3 days.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=40-1

The XP is my 2nd favorite ski, right behind my RXP and just ahead of the HX. It has fantastic handling and good acceleration (short of an RXP). Top speed should be just shy of 60 mph. The ride is dryer than my old HX but wetter than my RXP. It will ride 2, but balancing becomes tricky. If I had a 3rd ski, it would definitely be a late model XP.

I believe the running ones are worth $3500 - $4000.

Mike

Thread Information