Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

the air temp 38, is it too cold ?

i was out today on the Potomac, the air temp was 38F, the water was probable some thing like 40F.....could the cold hurt the jetski in any way ?
    i am just curious. !? Thanks for any respones

i got some pictures and a small video....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0324.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	50225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0359.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	50226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	50227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0366.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	50228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0367.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	50229  

Banned User
    +1
    actually no...the colder the better.

When we ran the weekend after thanksgiving, the air temp was 35-37ish and the water temp was 40ish...Ski's ran INSANELY strong...

I was banging off the rev limiter at 3/4 throttle...had I had put more bend in the prop, and maybe had an adjustable nozzle setup, I could have gone 2-3mph faster than I did the month prior...

ive riden my rxp in cold waters a lot and have had no ill effects. a full face helmet works much better for keeping your face warm..or is it a full face, hard to tell from the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by pet View Post
    i was out today on the Potomac, the air temp was 38F, the water was probable some thing like 40F.....could the cold hurt the jetski in any way ?
    i am just curious. !? Thanks for any respones

i got some pictures and a small video....

If it does I would have found out last spring....I was out in water temps below 40*F, Air temps about 50*F, and waves were all 3~4 footers. That was the first couple rides. My speeds weren't there mainly because I was getting the stable out of the gas and running thru a couple tanks of gas, burning off fogging oil and such. I don't know how possible it is, but I think really cold water temps like below 40*F could affect the wear ring some...I think it might spin a little bit, dunno though just a theory I came up with because I was down 2~3mph from the last ride the year before. Also might make sense because its basically the method we use to remove them when we want to replace them you know?

But it shouldn't affect anything. Our 4tecs are closed loop cooling, so the engine is up to operating temps within a couple minutes. Only place the cold water is drawn in thru is the IC (and the cold water helps its performacne) and the exhaust.

thanks for the quick respond, i just vanted to make sure , i am planning on riding it all winter . water is flat and no one on the water....
    Last edited by pet; 12-30-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPkid View Post
    I don't know how possible it is, but I think really cold water temps like below 40*F could affect the wear ring some...

That theory would possibly be true if you were running a thru-hull exhaust...

If you run out the OEM exhaust, the combination of hot exhaust gases and hot cooling water hitting the side of the pump would not allow the pump/ring to shrink uniformly enough to warrant a loose ring...

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    very brave, much credits to do that, the only way i will be out there in that temp is when my gprxp is done for a test ride.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    I think it can lead to early failures. Mostly in the exhaust and mainly in the waterbox due to thermal shock of the metal. Take a hot frying pan and pour hot water (110-120f) on it. Now take and run cold water (70-80f) on it. big difference in the thermal reaction between the two. Now imagine how much more the reaction will increase with 40f water. This is just my opinion so I might be totall wrong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel View Post
    I think it can lead to early failures. Mostly in the exhaust and mainly in the waterbox due to thermal shock of the metal. Take a hot frying pan and pour hot water (110-120f) on it. Now take and run cold water (70-80f) on it. big difference in the thermal reaction between the two. Now imagine how much more the reaction will increase with 40f water. This is just my opinion so I might be totall wrong.
    Could have a point MCHeel..When we rode the Chicagoland Gobble Gobble run the day after thanksgiving GPRXP Steve popped a hole through his waterbox...water was 48 degrees and the air was 38 degrees...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Could have a point MCHeel..When we rode the Chicagoland Gobble Gobble run the day after thanksgiving GPRXP Steve popped a hole through his waterbox...water was 48 degrees and the air was 38 degrees...

The only way thermo shock would occur is if the waterbox was allowed to get REALLY, REALLY hot....like from running on a trailer with no water before hand, then dumping in the water and the cold water being injected in before the manifold got hot...

One thing you can't factor in is the condition of the waterbox. Steve had issues earlier when he burned up the padding around his waterbox after a few WOT runs, possibly due to lack of water...That could have made his brittle, YOU NEVER KNOW...

But I am running the same size box as Steve, and I didn't have an issue...Bruce and I ran WOT for over a mile, not an issue...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information