+1

Any Gamer Computer gurus?

Anybody here play action video games on the comps that know how to set everything up? Every time I go to play a game, plays for about a minute, then the screen goes black. I have to completely shut down my computer and restart. Works fine, just until I go to play the game, single or multiplayer, does it on both.
    SHOOTER

Is your computer powerful enough for the game?

How much video ram do you have... I have found most problems with games is that a lot of new games requre a lot of video memory and a good video card.

+1
    I have a radeon 9600 video card and comp is a pentium 4 with a shit load of memory. The game has been played on my comp for the past 3 years, just recently started to encounter this problem.
    SHOOTER

Do you have the latest DirectX updates? I believe 9.0c is the current version if you're using XP. That Radeon card isn't compatible with the newest version, which is DirectX 10.

Your video card may be overheating, they get hot when gaming. Take a can of compressed air and blow the hell out of the cooling fan on the card, probably full of dust bunnies. Do the same to the cpu heatsink and fan. Then be sure you have the latest drivers installed.

+1
    Like Voodoo said,except,when you blow the hell out of the fan,be careful not to burn your lips.

+1
    Pull the processor heat sink off, clean up under there, and use something like "thermal-silver" or some of the other good thermal conductors.

if that doesnt work , upgrade it , not the whole system but run of the mill video cards like that are 20 $ on ebay , 50 at walmart

i bought that card one crazy night becuase i wanted to run FEAR , it didnt work but looks sweet ,

like mentioned above take a can on compressed air blow eveything out, Video card, CPU heatsink/fan, power supply, and a quick run over the motherboard.

Be sure directx is fully up to date. if you have PC wizard or any program like that check to see what your system temps are CPU/GFX
    over 70įc 158įf is getting into trouble zones and your comp will be probably shut down trying to play a game to prevent over heating.

just for good measure run a Disk Defrag, Disk Cleanup, Spyware removal tools, anti virus tools. another thing you could do is launch the game let it crash and restart, go to Control Panel - Administrative tools - Event Viewer - and system on the left hand side to see whats happening, if any warning or errors show up left click them and go to properties and it should give you a bit of info on whats happening. it worked for me when my hard drive cable was failing.

Thread Information