Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation overheating GP1200

hello ppl, i hope everyone had a gr8 xmas.

i have a 98mod gp1200 that when i rev it over 6000rpm for any length of time it starts to over heat. when i play in the surf it keeps at a good temp.

as far as i no the motor was rebuilt about 20 to 30 hrs ago
    it has 150 comp in all
    the oil injection has being removed and am running premix fuel

i have tried to run preium fuel with no change.

any thoughts on the matter would be gr8.

Rob

+1
    Timing
    Wrong prop
    Carb's (rebuild)

Got any more info.

+1
    Check all your cooling lines blow air through them make sure you have no obstructions anywhere. check that the two pissers are flowing water.

hello and thanks for your input.

the carbs have being of and pulled apart 3 times as i thought that this was the problem.
    myself + 2 other guys ( both machanics ) have gone right over the engine and have found no faults.
    the timeing and the fuel seams to be ok with the plugs running a bit dark but very cleen after i run the ski at full thottle for a wile.

Im running a Solas YD - CD 13/19 with a worx maxiloader intake grate.

Last weekend i replaced all the water hoses and under inspection i have found none of them, including the pipe barbs were blocked.

when i ran the ski after this the water was running with good pressure but still the engine over heats.

The only thing that i can think off to do is strip the engine back down and see if something is wrong.

Can someont please tell me how hot the engine should run when i take a mesurment from the top of the head neer the plugs.

PS :- Thanks for all your feed back

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I know this is silly, but did you put all the hoses back the right way? If you don't have a manual, you can download it here in the faq section.

hello addicted,
    I was haveing the over heating problem before i replaced the hoses.
    But before i did that, i cheaked with the manual to make sure that the hoses were conected on right which they were.

I have put a temp gauge on all 3 heads beside the plug and when i started to over heat all pots were within 10 deg of each other.

Its giving me the S**ts because i like the ski and it goes hard but i just cant seem to resolve this little problem. it is the only gremlin i have with the ski.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    my ported motor with the riva cdi and r&d head would get warm to the touch, but not hot. Probably no hotter than stock really. did you check the pickup in the pump for debris? Is it possible that you installed the exhaust gasket wrong? The pisser on the left front is pissing? did you possibly beach it and now there is sand in the cooling passages?

there are lots of things that could cause it. Just throwing some ideas out there. good luck!

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    What is your definition of overheating?

Is it stuck in reduced RPM mode?

+1
    i have a 98mod gp1200 that when i rev it over 6000rpm for any length of time it starts to over heat.

What rpm will it turn full throttle ?
    Will it go to low rpm mode ?

When i play in the surf it keeps at a good temp.

Whats a good temp ?

as far as i no the motor was rebuilt about 20 to 30 hrs ago
    it has 150 comp in all
    the oil injection has being removed and am running premix fuel

i have tried to run preium fuel with no change.

89 octane is good.

any thoughts on the matter would be gr8.

Rob[/quote]

If all 3 jugs are within 10 deg i think your good but what temp readings are you finding and what are you using to read them.

If you have an issue with it going to low rpm mode due to overheating it might be as simple as regreasing the temp sensor on the pipe.
    When you run in good conditions what rpm do you turn the yd cd 13/19 you need to turn at least stock rpm for the motor to be happy if your not 6850 rpm or more

Firstly, Happy New Year

The ski revs to 7100rpm on flat water and about 7300 in the surf.
    All the work was done to the engine before i got it.
    All i have done was fit the new intake grate and a new inpeller

in the worst case which happened a few weeks ago, it locked up and when left for about 20 seconds i was able to restart it again.
    I ran it enough to get me back to the boat ramp.
    I puled the engine down to inspect the damage but omly found that No 1 piston had a slight scuff on it.

I am running 3 temp probs ( 1 for each cyl ) to see if I am running one cyl lean.

I will run the ski tomorrow to see how hot the engine is running and wil post the temp as soon as i get home.
    I have also fitted a pressure gauge for the water cooling to see if there is enough water passing through the engine.

I have had the sensor tested and i was told by the shop that it is working ok but i have never had the engine rpm drop when it gets hot.

I have had the ski for about 5 months now and there has being at least 3 shops and 5 to 7 machanics look at the engine and no one can help me with the problem. Im lost as to the over heating problem and untill i find out what is wrong with it or it blows up i dont want to have to replace or rebuild it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information