Good engine/electric ground???

I have been going through my Genesis's electrical system trying to find a bad connection or bad wireing. I pulled the motor earlier in the year and put it back in not to very long ago and seem to be having an electrical issue.

My question is I have the BLACK cable going from the battery and is bolted to the side of the motor just below the exhaust manifold at the rear of the engine. I also have a ground wire that powers up the EMM that has a connector with a larger hole than that of the battery cable and I can't remember where it was grounded at originally. It is currently connected to the same spot as the battery. Is this a problem? Or should it be connected somewhere else? I remember that wasn't where it was grounded but i can remember where i took it off at and of course i didn't write it down.

Any ideas???

+1
    Any good ground from the battery should be fine.

most of them gound to the engine mounting plate, but like beer said any good mouting spot will work. Just make sure you scarpe off the paint and it gets good contact with bare metal.

Thanks guys.. can i assumen i am right and it is best not to have both grounded at the same spot... different locations will give a better ground??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRatt View Post
    Thanks guys.. can I assume I am right and it is best not to have both grounded at the same spot... different locations will give a better ground??
    If the ground connection between the two wire ends, and to the metal of the engine block, are ALL clean, tight, and corrosion free, then there should be no problem having them connected together.

The problems arise when there is rust, dirt, paint, oil, surface corrosion, between the surfaces. Anything that makes the connection less than 100% solid clean metal to clean metal.

That includes the under the bolt head, the bolt threads (bolt threads and threads into the block), the flat surface of the block around the bolt hole, and both sides of each connecting ring. All clean metal to metal, tightened up appropriately (but not so tight that the soft metal rings are crushed). Once you are certain the connection is clean and tight, then a little anti-corrosion coating/spray can be applied.

Keep in mind that the objective is to connect the WIRES to each other, and to the engine block. If the wire end's crimp connection to the metal end ring is corroded, then that can cause trouble, even if the ring itself is clean under the bolt.

If the wire itself is suspect, especially near the end where it connects, you may need to shorten it a little and put on a new end ring. Sometimes flexing or vibration can fracture the conductors inside the wire, leading to increased resistance or interrmittent problems.

Keep in mind that the reason the engine block is connected to the battery negative is simply to enable the starter to use the engine block as the negative return conductor to the battery when cranking the starter. If the starter negative side wasn't internally wired to the engine block (through the starter's mounting bolts), there would be almost no need to have the battery negative connected to the block at all.

Thanks K.... i think my ground is solid.. but to make myself feel better i am going to ground the two in different locations... i will use sandpaper on all surfaces and make sure all is clean..

Thread Information