Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Start/Stop circuit on Genesis test

Yes i know i'm blowing up the forum with questions about this genesis these past few days but i am NOT giving up on this thing... to much into it..

I think i have a problem with my start/stop circuit... is there more to it than the lanyard switch and the on/off switch?

+1
    Have you done the little test I suggested ?Do you have spark still ?

Bernie

I checked voltage at the injectors and it was only at 9.5/12.5 while cranking... I have been unplugging alot of different things and pluging them back in. I have gotten the ski to run a number of times at a smooth idle, then i would turn it off and it would really want to start buck up again.

I was going to do the test with the two batteries put couldn't find where the injector wires unplug other that right at the EMM.. also what is the deal with the capcitor mounted above the EMM... what is that for.. the ignition.

I found my service manual and am going to run through as many of the electrical test that i can do. i have a good meeter .... the biggest chalenge is the lack of consistancy with the problem. It is hard to spot and duplicate... I am starting to think i have a damaged wireharness and I should replace it.

I will dig in more on Monday or more likely Tuesday.

Thanks bernie.... hell.. maybe ill load her up, grab my passport and head to new zealand ..... hhhhmmmmm very tempting some days. any work out that way for a good IT director.????

Hey Bernie.. could you look at this below. It is about an electrical harness i bought out of another 99 Genesis. Everything on it looks like it is in great shape.. just one difference and that is in the electrical box itself.

""I purchased an entire electrical harness a few weeks ago to get the black module out of it that controls the ignigtion (505 module?) out of the electrical box, which was complete. The box was out of the same exact ski but I have noticed several differences. First, in my ski the module was one piece with about 7 or 8 wires coming out of it and it also has two reset switches on the outside of the box. This other one this module was in two parts, one part with half the wires and the other part with the other half. The electrical boards also have different part numbers but look identical. Mines part number is 2410155 and the other is 2410148, the other also has a kind of jumper or diode going between the gry and tan wires and the gry and gry-red wires. I am thinking about changing out the electrical harnesses."""

Any ideas... do you think i can swap them out? The entire harness that is.

The 99 is exclusive to 99. There were many service bulletins and that is some of the mods you are seeing. second the 99 uses to LR modules in there 1 is the voltage reg and the second uis the start stop modiule. In 2000 and newer the start stop and voltage reg are combined. Seems like your injector volatge is really low. This should be aprox 22-23 DCvolts while cranking. The capacitor is to help build that voltage to the 45 while the ski is running. Don't mess with that. What year is it? If you disconnect the TPS and try and start it will it run and start every time? it will not take extra throttle when you do this buit it should start and idle. Test the stator as outlined in your service manual. and last what condition is your battery? Junk batteries will not allow the engine to spin fast enough to raise the injector voltage to the correct level.

+1
    Vegas Ratt ,Once you have changed the stator then worry about the harness issue as I think you will find it will be the problem .Read my little link to a previous problem had by cgustofer .I spent hrs testing with him over skype etc and discounted everything including the stator with tests .But because volatge was low at cranking then either cranking speed was too low as votage generated was low or it ddn't have the capacity to generate the v 's.You might find magnets missing on the flywheel or they may be loose and have joined up but the answer is behind the flywheel

Bernie

Thanks for the input 4stroker... it is a 99 ski and the battery is good.. i have tried the tps thing a few times.. right now it is very speratic.. the problem.. sometimes it tries to fire up and some times it won't.. but when it does it only runs for a few seconds or until you try to throttle it up...

Try this......disconnect two of the injector wires and see if it will start and run. Don't be afaid nothing will be damaged when you do this. Did it start and take throttle? Yes... then plug in a second one and try the same thing....Yes then check the fuel pump pressure. and make sure the pump is between 21-23 psi. Now the 99 model did not come with a shrader valve. So you might need to contact Jay at Atlantic he can get you hooked up with the part you need to put in line to check the fuel pressure. If your responce was no to the above tries then check the battery while cranking the engine over the voltage should be min. of 10.5 vdc. if not GET A NEW BATTERY. If it is good then time to unplug the 12 pin and test the pins 1-12 7vdc 2-11 7vdc 3-10 5vdc 4-9 5vdc 5-8 5vdc and the last pins are open no wires. check this while cranking the engine and let us know what you get.

Thanks 4Stroker.... I'll give this a try over the weekend and let you know...

Oh.. and I'll check out the TV repair guy for the flywheel puller... No such thing as a bad reason for going to Cal.....

+1
    the stator test that 4stroker is having you do is in AC volts. he wrote vdc but it is vac. i think it was a long day at the fry station.LOL!

good tests there 4stroker. i see you have been reading your service manual and really have a good understanding of the DI system

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information