Thread: Hull mods?

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1

Question Hull mods?

I wish I could send my R hull to Tommy Jordan (Fountain and Yamaha GPR guru) for some rework.

I would like my r-12x to cut through the chop better and be alittle faster with the same HP that it has.

Any ideas of what I can do besides making a sharper V or "trueing"?

If I mess it up, well that is my perfect excuse to put my Honda powerplant into the GPR hull I have.

+1
    I have studied the Honda hull's shortcommings and determined that you would have to:
    1. Increase the deadrise in the bow [complete redesign].
    2. Decrease the width/increase the length of the pump inlet.
    3. Shift the on-plane front/rear CG rearward.
    4. Increase the height of the ride plate's center.

What you would end up with would be faster on top, might handle chop better BUT WOULD bat-turn and throw you/your passenger off in the blink of an eye.

That is why I am waiting to buy a 15X.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    I have studied the Honda hull's shortcommings and determined that you would have to:
    1. Increase the deadrise in the bow [complete redesign].
    2. Decrease the width/increase the length of the pump inlet.
    3. Shift the on-plane front/rear CG rearward.
    4. Increase the height of the ride plate's center.

What you would end up with would be faster on top, might handle chop better BUT WOULD bat-turn and throw you/your passenger off in the blink of an eye.

That is why I am waiting to buy a 15X.
    JR
    JR
    You are dead on!! I have tried some of the mods you are talking about and have gotten thrown off so bad that I went back to the drawing board. A little bit of speed is there but the hull becomes unpredictable when the water gets a little rough. Its hard to believe how fast this thing can get out of control. Reminds me of my old Allison back in the 70's

Randy

+1
    Randy,
    That is the reason that Honda added the extra 11" to the hull of the 15X. That way the bow won't slam down/bat turn when you chop the power. I have ridden 'skis that felt like your were riding a mechanical bull when running WOT in a heavy chop [Ultra 150]. I have ridden others that try and pitch you over the handlebars if you chop power.

BTW, my new Allison will still bat-turn if you chop power from WOT and a guy in AK. just got thrown out of his [during race testing] and is missing.

How is your boat running? I just sent mine in for a complete cosmetic makeover. It looks almost brand new again.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J-ME View Post
    I wish I could send my R hull to Tommy Jordan (Fountain and Yamaha GPR guru) for some rework.

I would like my r-12x to cut through the chop better and be alittle faster with the same HP that it has.

Any ideas of what I can do besides making a sharper .......V ?
    That was the conclusion I came to also, it's just too rounded. I'm assuming they made it rounded so it would change direction easiely with a nice "rotating" feel to it. It sure doesn't cut through water very well though. It spends all it's time bouncing across the top. You can change the ride plate and add trim tabs etc. but you're still fighting the basic shape of the hull.

When you watch the hull at speed it's pushing water out the side big time. You see pix of a GPR hull at speed and almost no water is being pushed out the side.

Quote Originally Posted by J-ME View Post
    If I mess it up, well that is my perfect excuse to put my Honda powerplant into the GPR hull I have.
    I'm also leaning towards building a hybrid to get what I want. I'm just trying to narrow down which hull. I know what engine I want to use.

Thread Information