Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seized SLT 750

jvhenry

Red face Seized SLT 750

I recently purchased a 1995 SLT 750 and I need some help. The guy told me that the driveshaft seal went out and filled the engine compartment with water. He then drove it to the boat ramp and put it on the trailer and drained the hull. Four weeks later he took it to the shop and they told him it was seized. I didnt get ripped off because I knew what I was getting into and I got it next to nothing with a trailer. I pulled the engine and the pistons are seized in the cylinders. I pulled the lower end off and the pistons wouldnt budge. So what I have been doing is spraying LPS greasless lubricant above and below the pistons in the cylinders and then taking a small block of wood and try to drive the pistons out with a hammer. My question is does anyone know a better way to do this and am I risking damaging the rods or anything like that? If this sounds ridiculous I am sorry but I couldnt think of another way to do this, I guess I should of asked first. Any help is appreciated.

Use lots of pb blaster. You might need to use a little heat also.

jvhenry
    I am not familiar with PB blaster and I was afraid to use heat because I didnt want to damage the pistons. Do you think the pistons are trashed at this point?

I would guess that the pistons and the sleaves are no good. You might be able to have it bored out to a bigger size. Bp blaster is a really good pentraing oil. no the heat will not hurt them, just do not go crazy with the heat. Keep in mind that when the engine is running you have lots of heat!!!

+1
    Let the stuff sit in diesel for a couple of days and see how you do.

Welcome to the Green Hulk Forums!!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to the Hulk. When you say seized, do you mean rusted or heat? (score marks on cylinders?) Have you checked to see if it's the jet pump that's actually seized, and not allowing the engine to turn over?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jvhenry View Post
    ...1995 SLT 750...I pulled the engine and the pistons are seized in the cylinders.
    I pulled the lower end off and the pistons wouldnt budge. So what I have been doing is spraying LPS greasless lubricant above and below the pistons in the cylinders and then taking a small block of wood and try to drive the pistons out with a hammer.
    My question is does anyone know a better way to do this
    and am I risking damaging the rods or anything like that? If this sounds ridiculous I am sorry but I couldnt think of another way to do this, I guess I should of asked first.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    ...When you say seized, do you mean rusted or heat? (score marks on cylinders?) Have you checked to see if it's the jet pump that's actually seized, and not allowing the engine to turn over?
    xlint - the engine is out, and the crankcase has been split, if I am reading this correctly.

jvhenry; Welcome to the Hulk.
    And Happy New Year!

Can you confirm that you have the cylinders and the upper crankcase section on the bench?

The trick is to let a powerful rust disolver work on the pistons over time.
    Some of the products I have used, or read of others using, include PB Blaster, aero Kroil, PEN Fluid 2000, Konck Er Loose, Break-Free

Ask at any decent store that sells Marine or automotive repair products. Spray a decent amount around the top and bottom perimeter of each piston, with more on top, then let gravity and time work them loose. It could take several days of re-spraying and waiting to get them to loosen up. Be sure to have some newspapers to soak up the drippings, and most of these products will eat into plastics, so keep them away from contact with your boat.

What you don't want to do, if you can avoid it, is having to severely hammer the pistons out. Of course, you may end up having to do so anyway, but let the chemicals have a chance.

Hammering on the pistons, you do risk damage to the pistons, of course, even using a block of wood. And you don't want to be twisting the piston in the bore with non-centred impacts, which would stress the connecting rods.

Do you have any photos of the current situation?
    Top down into the cylinders, bottom up, and looking into the exhaust ports?

And the crankshaft itself.
    Does it look rusty?

jvhenry
    I am positive it is the pistons and cylinders that are seized. I have the engine pulled and tore apart all except for the pistons in the cylinders because I cant get them out. They appear to be seized because of rust and not heat damage. Thanks for all your help and warm welcomes.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jvhenry View Post
    ...Thanks for all your help and warm welcomes.
    Keep us posted on your progress.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information