Plugs turned black right away!

Hi Guys, Changed to this forum on good advise. Plugs on order from advance auto. Since I had time, I cleaned the ones I had real good. It started right away. Had to pull a plug just to see if it was still white. NOT!. All but one turned black again. It reved OK, no smoke. What causes black carbon on 10 seconds of running? Had ski up to 62 mph or better last week but kept alarming. Could not get any codes. Just FI. Getting manual soon. Hate to put new plugs in just to have this happen again. Thanks, Ed

+1
    Welcome to the forum

Could not get any codes. Just FI.
    If the FI is blinking, you are getting a code. Check this site out below and go to post #7. You can post your results and someone will be able to tell you what it is untill you can get your manual.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30553

OK, I live in Delray Beach, working on ski in shorts and no shirt. Not any free air conditioning yet. Tonight it drops though. It's not cold 80 degs. I wanted to ride but with spark plugs acting up, I'll wait for new plugs. Might be old fuel. I just bought the 2 skis 2002 trax turbo and repaired turbo's actualrators. Running rich sounds right. Why? Hose was off silinoid to turbo, but slight rev, not hard, blackened plugs. Just noticed hose off and something is telling computer to dump fuel. Might be on right track if that will do it. I also smell unburnt fuel at idle. Have to get codes. Thanks, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by 1wingedrocket View Post
    when its cold outside, on the trailer, your pumping 60 degree water in there, the ecu is making it rich, cause it goes by coolant temp and charge temp, plus your not loading the engine up making it hot, I wouldent worry about that too much, Save them new plugs for the spring tho...... Cause you will foul them too, when its cold this stuff happens...... Look at mine there black as night, I pulled them yesterday out of my head

I build Horsepower
    +1
    The 2002 F12x was the richest running model of all Honda's. I recorded 12.4-12.5-1 Air/fuel ratio at 1250 rpm idle with a gas analyzer.

Later in 2003 and on they leaned them out some. You can update the ECU but only the rear mounted F12x ECUs will fit.

Pull the codes next and see what they say

Shawn

Welcome to the HULK!!!!!!

The 2002 F12x was the richest running model of all Honda's. I recorded 12.4-12.5-1 Air/fuel ratio at 1250 rpm idle with a gas analyzer.
    Shawn, as all of us 02 owners have the same problem with rich idle. Do you think it's enough to cause fuel wash at idle. When I go into a no wake zone and idle through it, the ski stumbles a little when I accelerate out of it.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    No, I don't think its a cylinder wash down problem. You can can use the 03 updated version which is about 10% leaner.

If it were me I'd just live with it for now.

Shawn

If it were me I'd just live with it for now.
    Thanks, I didn't think my problem was from wash I was just wondering if the over rich condition caused some wash.

Thread Information